2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Administrator

So have you had time to check out what I posted in #4
Old 03-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Well, I am glad to see you have your "eyes wide open". Hope you get a deal! Usually, we see peeps that got fleeced on this kind of thing. Use it to your advantage!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Technical Moderator

That system of emissions testing is very odd.

When the codes are cleared all of the OBD tests get set to 0 and will read "incomplete". In most states that is a "fail". SOME states allow one or two incompletes the state of the CEL has nothing to do with emissions readiness. In VA in my county no emissions testing, but a CEL illumination fails the safety inspection.

Maybe that's what you meant.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:36 AM

''Old Blue'' I did visual and hands on from the top and bottom, checked connections and especially that bolt from the bottom too, vacuum hoses all on, not cracked . The car was fine today, took some friends for a ride to show the problem to and it was non existent.

Later this evening took some family members for a general ride since it is new to the family and it resurfaced.. It seems to be only a flat out accelleration related problem, at normal driving it has power and shows boost on the gauge, when the problem occurred this time it turned the check engine light on so tomorrow I will recheck codes and get under this vehicle and look it over closely from the bottom this time, the top checks out, all linkage tight, still that tube or hose on the bottom will be very closely inspected and all connections tightened too, nothing was tightened prior, just visually checked and a hand put on it to check for extreme looseness...

Thanks for your help, any links any of the members supplied I followed and copied or bookmarked.. This problem will be found and the true cause announced, soon I hope.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:03 AM

Don Brew. The emissions testing here is done a number of ways depending on your county and population within and surrounding..

1996 and lower OBD 1 vehicles are tested on a dyno type device with a 4 gas analyzer in the tail pipe as well as some other connections to run the tach and hose for vacuum but does not use the assembly line diagnostic connector at all where as 1997 and up OBS 2 cars are only connected to that assembly line connector and no probe is placed in the tail pipe nor is any Dyno used.. Either of the systems fail if a code is found, check engine light comes on or NOT, if one sets or is already stored in the computer it fails..

Most here run their car good and hard before an inspection to heat up the converter, any year car and clear any codes prior, check for any after the run and if all is well go for the test.. It is tested at idle, at mid range and at what would be equivalent to highway driving, emissions tested for all 3 areas..

If the car sets a code during the test it fails and that code is noted on the paperwork given which also entitles the failed car to a free retest within 30 days after and if repairs are made.. Waivers are available for cars used less than 3 or 4 thousand miles a year, low income situations, you almost need a team of attorneys if you fail one of these tests, I know because I failed one in the beginning of the testing law but it turned out to be a failure of the system that checks all the cars and I was notified, refunded all of my expenses for Plugs, Wires, Air Filter and an EGR Valve all of which it said I needed due to readings sent to Austin Texas, where all the cities inspection stations send to from all over the state.. Sucks doesn't it aye?

We voted the system down as it originally was but it came back in a different form anyway because of highway funding being held back so we now have it in any area around populated cities like Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth and probably San Antonio though I am not sure of that one. El Paso has its own set of rules, far more lenient I am told but I don't know that for a fact, just know it has a different set of letters describing the type of testing done.. It is about 750 miles from here so a different world in the same state.

The main items that fail here are EGR Valves, Catalytic Convertors and believe it or not gas caps, they check that too with a hand held device similar to an old radiator cap tester..

I hope this at least sheds some light on your question or reply which I thank you for..

P.S. Cars over 24 years old don't have to pass an emissions inspection other than visual meaning all factory air pumps must have a belt, all exhaust systems must have a catalytic converter and as long as all looks ''OK'' only lights and horn, wipers etc are checked for working condition like it used to be and the inspection is far cheaper....

If you made it down this far reading, thanks for hanging in there, others in Texas can probably add to this, fine tune my numbers a bit since I am working from memory on this..

Chevy Mgr can probably substantiate our emission laws here, I think he is in the Dallas Fort Worth area and it has Emission Testing like we have in the Houston area..
Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 AM

Blue SS. Thanks for your input, I'm not too bad at car deals and have seen others do far worse than myself. Many decent deals coming up around here on 2008's SS's but I wanted the 2010 because it is the last year, probably a left over 2009, has the dash mounted information screen etc.. I have always owned odd ball cars from 348 tripower 58 Impalas, Dual Quad 409 Chevrolets, Dual Quad Buick Riviera [1] and some other cars as well, always with something different or out of the ordinary from the rest, still opt for that type of vehicle I guess.... Probably describes quite a few of us on this forum..

Last edited by Wheatgerm; 03-07-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Administrator

I vote either MAP sensor or the By pass valve , most likely the By pass valve good luck and enjoy that SS

Last edited by Oldblue; 03-07-2015 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Thanks George
Old 03-07-2015, 07:59 AM

Did you see how much the car was boosting before it sets the code?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Fwiw. If it is a bypass valve problem, not much to the stock ones except a rubber diaphragm and a spring.

Sorry for the crappy picture.
Name:  Stock BPV.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  26.5 KB
Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks ''Old Blue''.. have been enjoying it already and will continue to even more when I know that Turbo will be there every time I attempt to pass etc. I am compiling a list of possible causes from this forum and members donating their time and resources and appreciate it very much.

Quick Reply: I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?