2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the information DonBrew..

I read some posts about it after your "Heads UP'' on the topic so with that said the upgrade is in my future plans. I was spoiled by the performance before the overboost problem went into remission and long for that power again, just without the codes etc.

Some have written that they never had the oveboost problem UNTIL they installed the kit though and some concern still is present but I'm willing to take the chance anyway!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Here's my update on the over boost problem and a few questions too.

About 2000 miles put on the HHR SS now, no codes, still a tiny bit of wavering in the boost pressure but the dash mounted information source that comes from the factory tells me I am running 250 Horse Power consistently and has never gone over 300 Horse since the days of the over boost.

If anyone out there is running an SS with a 4.05 Axle ratio and an automatic I'd like to find out what gear it is in at 110 MPH? A 3.29 is still in 3rd at that speed and pulling higher.. Also interested in when the HHR SS triggers the fuel pump to end MPH increase and does that even happen anymore? Last question is are the SS HHR's designed to use E-85? This one is 2010 but standard HHR's have been badged to use ethanol since 2009 from what I observed after I bought my 2008 2LT 2.4, curious about the SS's is all.. No badge on this like the LS and LT's have .
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

I thought from some of my previous research, that the SS only had 1 gear ratio choice for the automatic. I could be wrong.
I know there were some other ratios listed in the earlier RPO codes, but I thought those were for some of the regular LS or LT's.

As far as flex fuel. The SS is not flex fuel compatible.
From the owners manual:
If your vehicle has the 2.2L L4 engine (VIN Code B) or
the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V), you can use either
unleaded gasoline or ethanol fuel containing up to
85% ethanol (E85). See Fuel on page 6‑5. In all
other engines, use only the unleaded gasoline
described under Gasoline Octane on page 6‑6.
Only vehicles that have the 2.2L L4 engine
(VIN Code B) or the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V)
can use 85% ethanol fuel (E85).
Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 AM
Administrator

The last SS I worked on had a sticker on the fuel door , Premium fuel only, but the owner could have stuck it there.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Factory Speed Limiter is ~155 MPH.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Factory Speed Limiter is ~155 MPH.
Is this from the owners manual as well?! Just kidding, I won't ask how you obtained the information!

I'm hoping to get my hands on HPT soon so I can attempt a flex fuel SS. Higher octane = less detonation
Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
Is this from the owners manual as well?! Just kidding, I won't ask how you obtained the information!

I'm hoping to get my hands on HPT soon so I can attempt a flex fuel SS. Higher octane = less detonation
It's in a hidden part of the owners manual, you have to look real, real hard.
There are a number of people who have done the E85 and E47 thing. Another option is to add the 5th injector and a methanol tank and set it up to spray at a certain boost level. The 5th inject will also take some of the load off the HPDI pump.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:34 PM

The 5th injector is a good option, as well as meth injection. I'm also looking into the TTR intake manifold + opel injectors and fuel rail. Because I'll need a new intake and fuel setup for my rebuild gen 2 project.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

You may want to think about/work on this in stages..... Consider this, going with the larger Opel injectors has/can cause a drop in rail pressure at HI RPM. Main problem is the DI pump can only displace so much fuel per stroke with the cam you are currently using. Now there are people that can provide you with a cam that has a larger DI pump lobe, or DI pump that has increased displacement (bored out) so you may not see those issues, but, fundamentally it takes X amount fuel in pounds to support X amount of power.

Granted the our little motors make a lot of power on a leaner mix compared to port fuel injection but eventually you'll get to point where you won't be able to feed the beast with the current DI hardware.

That is why I suggested you consider the 5th injector option. Monitor the tank fuel pressure, if it starts dipping worse case you have to get a larger in tank fuel pump.

The other thing that the 5th injector helps us LNF folks with is keeping the intake ports and the back of the intake valves clean of sludge. With the DI we don't have that and I've had instances where a piece of crap has held an intake valve off a seat...... on a turbocharged motor I can tell you that isn't a good thing. You'll know it when it happens, it also makes for a real crappy surge at idle.

Just my 2 cents and i feel better now.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I thought from some of my previous research, that the SS only had 1 gear ratio choice for the automatic. I could be wrong.
I know there were some other ratios listed in the earlier RPO codes, but I thought those were for some of the regular LS or LT's.

As far as flex fuel. The SS is not flex fuel compatible.
From the owners manual:
If your vehicle has the 2.2L L4 engine (VIN Code B) or
the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V), you can use either
unleaded gasoline or ethanol fuel containing up to
85% ethanol (E85). See Fuel on page 6‑5. In all
other engines, use only the unleaded gasoline
described under Gasoline Octane on page 6‑6.
Only vehicles that have the 2.2L L4 engine
(VIN Code B) or the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V)
can use 85% ethanol fuel (E85).
FiremanGeorge, thanks for the information and I'll have to get an option sheet to see if that combination was available however the 155 MPH should be standard across the board in my guess on this so I'll consider that answer good while I look into ratios of the different transaxles.

On the fuels able to be used thank you as well, I see a lot of ethanol pumps out there lately including at Sunoco where I buy their Premium 93 Octane fuel for the 2010 HHR SS. I'll stay away from that stuff without a doubt.

Quick Reply: I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?