2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks fireman for answering that. I'll give a little more detail.....

Wheatgerm, my suspicion was that it was a K&N filter, that is why I asked. SOME owners have experienced problems with the K&N, others have not. Many times it led to an over oiled filter. Many times it was just the filter for some unknown reason. Replacement with an OEM generally, after some driving or cleaning, cured the problem. Cleaning the MAF was sometimes necessary. I suggest you "blew it out" so it cured with that exercise.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:23 AM

~ 16 pounds of boost is normal for a stock factory tune. My guess is that what ever was causing your overboost condition hasn't fixed itself. There was some talk about your condition on the CobaltSS forum about this condition, one of the responses was to look at this post by chevy magr, https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...e2/#post325401. Look at post # 13. The cobalt guys had seen both high and low boost conditions, they changed the actuator and the problems went away.

Just a thought.... as you know by now the duty cycle of the wastegate actuator is what controls the desired boost levels.

If/when it comes back you really need to scan it to see what's going on. With the proper config file the logged information will speak volumes as to what the real problem is and where to look. If you boost is out of control your fueling and timing aren't going to be where they need to be for a given commanded desired load/torque.

please keep us informed
Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 AM

I thank you all for your input and help in this matter. I miss the ''Brute'' power of a boosted engine in the numbers over 20 and if this was not an automatic I would upgrade it because I think that is all that is done for the most part other than the recalibration/Tune required.

It no longer leaves a healthy 2 gear stripe on the road but is still quite fast from a roll.

Good for recognizing that problem and the air filter association though, previous owner must have changed it himself after only a few thousand miles with the A/C Delco unit the dealer installed, so much for paperwork records versus going in and seeing it for one's self.

I'm not finished working in this one yet but have no worries about passing anyone anymore at full throttle. It has that ''Reconfigurable Performance Display'' in the dash where the glove compartment traditionally is and I can read boost, Horse Power, Timing Advance, Cam information, how accurate it is I have no idea but I have used it as my source of information when it is running.

When it was setting a code for overboost it showed 26 pounds of boost to set the light and code and limp mode according to that gauge reading but when retrieving the code it had 2 before it that never caused a problem with the light nor running of the car so I am guessing they were over 16 and 25 or under.

I will keep the story rolling in case any of this helps anyone or they have an interest in it, I'm taking a short trip with it Saturday the 16th of May, Texas interstates allow 85 MPH in some areas of interstate 10 west and probably other areas around the rural parts of the state too and I expect to have a fully cleaned out Turbo by the time I get back.. Hopefully no tickets, impounded vehicle or blown engine will put a damper on the trip.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Enjoy the trip! Have a blast! And watch out for Smokey!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Technical Moderator

It takes 3 occurrences of some conditions to set the CEL, especially performance related ones.
The RPD shows the data that the computer is using to manage the engine, therefore it is very accurate.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Enjoy the trip! Have a blast! And watch out for Smokey!
No tickets or other negative events, although someone else was busy getting a ticket when the ''Herd'' I was running with slowed down and passed the event, looking over like the Wildebeest on the African Plains when one of their own gets taken down by a Lion or something similar. Very shortly after that the pace picked right up again, speeds were legally 75 MPH on the highway we were on for most of the trip there and back and signs were posted abundantly about the left lane being for passing only so I take the 5th Amendment on the rest of this statement.

My problem is gone, I was able to get rid of a lot of the black carbon on the tail pipe as well, no codes, lights, Limp Mode and did some passing without fear of any disappointment to say the least.

I used 93 Octane Fuel, Sunoco by association with ''Stripes'' convenience stores kind of new to our area of Texas however I doubt it is anything like the old 260 we used to love back in the day's of Detroit Iron of the 8 cylinder variety.

Now after reading some old posts I see some "Upgrades'' shown to include Automatic Transmissions and am wondering if the kit which is cheaper now by the way would be a positive or negative to this continuing adventure in small engines with surprising power and excellent fuel mileage?

One thing I can say is the SS version of the HHR is different in many ways that are positive in my opinion. Since GM did not drop the 2.0 Turbo use when HHR's went out of production and the newer ones have automatics behind them there has to be a way around that factory de-tune from 260 to 240 that saves the transmission from being a shear pin. I'd like to be in the 300 HP zone again and not have to buy another HHR SS with a 5 speed Stick to do so..

I appreciate all and any of the replies etc. If anything interesting develops I'll pass it along but as for this adventure of the SS HHR and the overboost, this chapter is closed..

Last edited by Wheatgerm; 05-24-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: word/spelling corrections
Old 05-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It takes 3 occurrences of some conditions to set the CEL, especially performance related ones.
The RPD shows the data that the computer is using to manage the engine, therefore it is very accurate.
Thanks DonBrew, your input is always welcome and informative. I'm in a ''Relearning'' mode myself and this new knowledge/information is vital for that to take place. Different cars with different designs and quirks too.. It all is easier to learn with help from those already at that point of knowledge and who are willing to take the time to share it as well.

''Knowledge is Power''.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Google is great! That's where all the knowledge in the world lives.

There are members here that have 300HP+ on automatics. Mostly tuning and parts. The trans seems to be able to handle it.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 AM

If you want to learn to do the tuning yourself read some of the posts here. GM L4, I5, I6 Tuning - Engine
Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
If you want to learn to do the tuning yourself read some of the posts here. GM L4, I5, I6 Tuning - Engine
Thanks Dennis,
I will go that route soon I think since it will bring good results, doing a few things first however, suspension noises on both HHR's and bearing noise on cold start up on the SS version, have a belt tensioner and alternator on hand already as well as a new belt I always had and kept with the spare tire. Couldn't find just bearings for either part I suspect.

I saved that link to my bookmarks.

Quick Reply: I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?