2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

just picked up a 09 hhr ss mt... few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 AM

just picked up a 09 hhr ss mt... few ?'s

I'm new to the small chevy turbo world. I have always played with big hp mustangs. This car will be my dd and don't want to go crazy with it. First question is I would like to get all the supporting mods done first such as, cai, cat back, and intercooler piping. Can this be done without a tune? I just want to have all my bolt on mods done before I tune. I really like the idea of the trifecta, but I have read quite a few horror stories on here about the guy doing some pretty crappy tunes?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

I would skip the CAI. Not really much to be gained there. GM did a really good job on the design of the SS air box and it's flow.
Any thing other than the stock air box/filter set up and you run the risk of triggering a CEL. Then you would need to tune for that.
For a DD, I've changed mufflers and upgraded the BPV. No tune needed. Changing the piping shouldn't require a tune either.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM

I've changed mufflers and upgraded the BPV.

Just the muffler? how did it sound? I have some magnaflows sitting in my barn I could throw on. Not looking for something really loud but did like the sound of the magnaflow 3in catback systems.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Just the muffler.(the one in my signature). A little louder and deeper sound than stock and no drone. Still have some powertrain warranty on mine so I haven't gone too far with my mods.
Tried the muffler delete. It was a bad drone at highway speeds.
After warranty I'll probably go with coring out the 2nd cat. There are a few threads on this site about the performance benefits from that.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Just the muffler.(the one in my signature). A little louder and deeper sound than stock and no drone. Still have some powertrain warranty on mine so I haven't gone too far with my mods.
Tried the muffler delete. It was a bad drone at highway speeds.
After warranty I'll probably go with coring out the 2nd cat. There are a few threads on this site about the performance benefits from that.
awesome. Thanks. I did read about the second cat, and I do have 12 months 12k warranty as well.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by onequicktang
I'm new to the small chevy turbo world. I have always played with big hp mustangs. This car will be my dd and don't want to go crazy with it. First question is I would like to get all the supporting mods done first such as, cai, cat back, and intercooler piping. Can this be done without a tune? I just want to have all my bolt on mods done before I tune. I really like the idea of the trifecta, but I have read quite a few horror stories on here about the guy doing some pretty crappy tunes?
Surprisingly, our 'buggys' don't need many mods...
There are really only a few worthy mods needed.
Most mods are a matter of taste, & is really an addiction...

1st, the 'tune'
TUNE = POWER , DRIVEABILITY , DEPENDABILITY
The 'tune' is the key, to great power, & drivability, & dependability.
I't's utterly amazing, what just a tune can do, for our 'buggys'.
Every, & any 'tune', mild to wild, will unleash the power, drivability, & dependability, that we all want...
Don't be afraid of Trifecta, talk to CJ...
If there was only one thing, that I would do, a 'tune' would be it.
99% of all mods, after a 'tune', will not require a retune…

2nd, TTECH engine mount
TTECH engine mount = planting the, POWER , DRIVABILTY , DEPENDABILITY
What's important, after a 'tune', is purely a matter of taste…
But, & this is a big one, the one thing that is really needed, after a 'tune', is a TTech engine mount. It really is needed, as the stock mount is crap, just totally crap. The TTech mount, will 'plant' the power, will improve daily driving response, & drivability , reduce the front wheel drive torque steer, & just overall improve the fun-factor, by 100%.

That's it, your're done, everything else, is a matter of taste, & the fun of Hot-Rodding your 'buggy'...

With just an E47 'tune' , TTECH mount , slicks = low 13s, maybe high 12s, at the track...

Supporting Mods
K&N intake system, to remove the intake restriction, NO re-tune needed.
Coring of the 2nd cat, to remove the exhaust restriction, NO re-tune needed.
Muffler change, NOT needed, stock is free-flowing, straight-thru, 2.75" internal tubing, NO re-tune needed, if you change it out, for a matter of taste.
Intercooler &/or Intercooler piping, NOT needed, I can run 12.3s all day at the track with the stock Intercooler/piping. If replaced, NO re-tune needed.
Downpipe catted or catless, not needed, just core the 2nd cat. It's really important to leave the 1st cat in place, as it is needed. A loss of off idle torque & responsiveness, will result if you remove the 1st cat. Again, I can run 12.3s all day with the 1st cat in place. If you do change out the stock DP for a matter of taste, No re-tune is needed.

Please get your 'tune' 1st, it is the 'key', the 1st, & most important mod needed...
Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 AM

Thanks 2005! My hhr seems to only peak maybe 12lbs of boost and really seems kind of weak as far as "lugging" or "pulling power". By that I mean if I'm not feeding it rpms it pretty unresponsive!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

12 lbs peak boost is too low. You've got something wrong. I would be checking for a leak in the system.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
12 lbs peak boost is too low. You've got something wrong. I would be checking for a leak in the system.
I figured. What should I see peak wise? kind of why I want to get rid of all the plastic ducting.