2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

LNF STARTER FLASH a basic starter "tune"

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 AM

LNF STARTER FLASH a basic starter "tune"

LNF Starter Flash

LNF Starter Flash

Over on the HPTuner forum, tuner “CobaltSSoverbooster”, has posted a free basic “tune”, that will help everyone that has HPTuner , or knows someone that has HPTuner software, that can help you load this “tune”.

“CobaltSSoverbooster” is one of the top LNF tuners , & it’s so cool, that he has done this for the LNF community. I learned a few things from this “tune”, which has really helped me make my own “tune” better.

If you have HPTuner, compare this “tune” to yours, & “learn” from it.

Also, my latest “tune”, can be found in this HPTuner thread, post #33

LNF Optimum Spark tables - how to

This “tune” is a lot “smoother”, & has a more powerful mid-range.
It is still a super street “tune”, for a DD, & a "beast", at the track…
There's a lot of super "automatic" table changes/improvements in this "tune",
for those that have an automatic HHR SS
Old 09-25-2014, 07:45 PM

I plan on getting hptuner. How hard to figure out. Very basic understanding of tuning from my position. Can u just flash someone else's tune or is it best to copy and build your own
Old 09-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Starter's tuning, 101

Originally Posted by cannuck
I plan on getting hptuner. How hard to figure out. Very basic understanding of tuning from my position. Can u just flash someone else's tune or is it best to copy and build your own
Yes and yes. You can copy or you can build your own. If you don't have any knowledge of tuning, get someone to help show you the ropes. My first tune job almost blew my engine from what the datalogger was feeding back to me.

Hopefully, learning doesn't cost you that much. Stick with reasonable timing instead of crazy timing tables at first and experiment. For every action, there's a reaction. Tuning amplifies that old truth. Start with a fresh set of plugs and wires and make small adjustments to your plug gap. You may even go through a few sets of plugs before you get a set you like. Temperature and localized heat are the two things to pay attention to. "Step-colder" plugs are alright to start with, but you can cause hot spots in the head if you get way out on plug gap. "Step-hotter" plugs are ideal in some situations, though you don't want to pair these with a really aggressive ignition timing if you don't have the supporting mods.

After you get the plugs into the temperature range you want them to be, you can pull timing with boost. Some jobs call for 1 degree per psi, but others might only call for 1 degree per 4 psi. If you pull 1 degree per psi and should be 1 per 4 psi, your motor may be toasted. Experiment here and listen to what the datalogging, wideband, and your car itself are trying to tell you.

The other thing is fuel. Your wideband should be giving you some rich (low) numbers on a safe tune and lean (high) numbers on an aggressive tune. Find a comfortable balance and your car will love the outcome. Run too rich, you get carbon build-up in your engine (no matter how much you spend on gas or where you buy it from). Run too lean and you get what we in the Mazda community called "Zoom, zoom, boom."

Tuning takes time to perfect, but can you already see how this is just stacking one thing on another? It's not terribly complicated from a user interface POV, but it can be dangerous. Talk to someone trusted and get a starter tune (or get the tune listed in the thread) so you have somewhere to start. You'll start to master it little by little. Just take your time and don't do anything that people tell you is stupid. Especially people with cars that run and drive.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 PM

great answer. the learning software is another 500. cant imagine a flow chart for how the ecu manages
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM

It's less a flow chart and more of a spreadsheet. An incredibly large, technical spreadsheet. MAP based timing would save a lot of room and make a cleaner user interface, but I don't know if this is MAP based or load based for our cars. Never tuned a direct-injected motor, so I don't know which is more beneficial here.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 PM

is there a spark plug chart that shows manufacturers ...... temperature ranges and model numbers of spark plugs
Old 10-05-2014, 12:04 PM

I'll see what I can find. Can't seem to remember the reference that I used on tuning Mazdas.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:37 AM

Don where would I find those reports?
Old 07-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JOHNNYO
Don where would I find those reports?
Johnny. I think you are misinterpreting what this thread is. It is not about the car's starter.
This is a thread about the SS turbo and a "flash" for the computer tune.
The word starter actually means beginner or basic in regards to tuning the ECM for the 2.0 turbo engine.