2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

2.2 Oil catch can, more of cleaning up then performance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Well that didn't take long, in my OCD mind, I can't wait for things to happen, so I took a highway run from home up to Lake Ontario, then along another highway 45 miles and then back, all at the exact speed limit, really officer, so about 110 miles total , and finally squint hard at the dirty line and there is so condensation getting sucked up to the tank.
Attached Thumbnails 2.2 Oil catch can, more of cleaning up then performance!-img_0345.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM

By the time you get enough in there to be a freeze problem, it won't be cold anymore!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 PM
RF2

Just a thought. If you put the PCV line after the throttle plate you will have full vacuum, but you are feeding air down stream of the MAS. This might lean out your idle and give you a code.
How you have the system set up is correct. At idle you will not have much blow by.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RF2
Just a thought. If you put the PCV line after the throttle plate you will have full vacuum, but you are feeding air down stream of the MAS. This might lean out your idle and give you a code.
How you have the system set up is correct. At idle you will not have much blow by.
This ^

You wouldn't want to hook a full vacuum source line to an open vented space like the engine block. That would just pull in a constant flow of air and lean out the intake fuel mix. Would be the same as a bad vacuum leak.
Vacuum lines are generally plugged into a closed container with a diaphram.
Examble. brake booster, heater control valves, damper door switches etc.
(just generic examples. some of those aren't on the HHR's )
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Or the system with positive vacuum from under the throttle body has to have a pcv valve

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Blue
I think you over are thinking this. Your original vent hose went from valve cover to clean side of intake pipe. There will be always be a vacuum under running conditions, some times greater. If there wasn't your engine wouldn't run.
Here's a home made oil separator I made for my 2013 Challenger when I had it. It was a 3.6, went from the same locations you have. I know doesn't show you a lot.

Name:  SDC10505_zps24fd7ad8.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  77.6 KB

This can was built out of a primary fuel filter for a diesel engine, but the top was cut off so I could put a membrane inside it and then I epoxied a lid on top. And it did collect oil. I only had 6K on the car when I turned it in for my SS.
The can is not mounted low, in fact it was on the strut tower above the two ports it was connected to.
Your can will work. It just needs an element inside it.

As far as the PCV, it's a restricted vacuum port not a check valve. It still draws vapors just like the hose you have on your engine.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator

I stated earlier, I want to keep it simple, I'm not suggesting I change anything, therefore not over thinking the setup. I don't want a pvc system like the 2.0 turbo SS has, I just want to catch any oil or condensation in the separator tank and keep that slop out of my throttle body. It's working just fine as I posted in #41.
I did this as an experiment in the same vein I have built Oldblue, with gently used or inexpensive parts.
My brake upgrade to SS non Brembo's , I bought used caliper brackets.
I purchased used WV rally rims. Used dash carpet, used Weather Tech floor mats, used grille and rear beauty bar and bowtie! I even have a used LightnSight.
My experience with hot rodding and car building of over 50 years tells me
K.I.S.S. And I shall , that and keep it inexpensive! But then again I'm of Scottish descent .
Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Took a 175 mile cruise in the countryside yesterday, still no dreaded codes, the throttle body is clean and there's no oiley residue on the throttle blade or out the exhaust tip!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Another 200 mile trip, same as last post! So no oil sucked into throttle body! No CEL light. I'll keep you posted!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Administrator

And so it's 2 months later, several long drives, still no oil being sucked into the TB !!
That was the goal to keep the intake clean! I've noticed improvements in fuel mileage, much better throttle response, and my stainless steel exhaust tip is much prettier! No black carbon build up!

Quick Reply: 2.2 Oil catch can, more of cleaning up then performance!