2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Cams?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM

Cams?

Okay, I admit that I really have not done the research on this, but I would really like to see some discussion on 2.2L performance. I know there have been issues with the ECU and the HHR, but does that only apply to the 2.4? I probably will never do a power adder as I do not have the Jack$$. I would like to speed up, though. I already know about the exhaust/CGS/airaid debates (but you can all argue some more about them if you like). One of the things I was looking at was the cams. I saw them on Gravana, but they say that they are not legal for street use. I do not have emissions testing, so why would they not be for street use?
I like speed, but I need the 20 something gas mileage. All you gearheads....come out and play!!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 AM

as far as the ECU yes that is the 2.4L problem its the VVT, just get an intake, headers, exhaust and tune. You should be very happy with that. Now if you really want to get into things yes you can get a cam visit cobaltss.net and go to 2.2L performance, then lighten flywheel if you have a 5spd, port n polish TB, Heads...get some vavles.theres a lot for the HHR so dont worry just what you want.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 AM

One thing about the 2.2 I have found out with cams is there are a TON for them. Forget the CobaltSS.net site because most there don't do alot with the cams. Check out www.ecotecforum.com and they have a large discussion as well as specs and such on cams for the 2.2... One of the things mentioned in this forum was that a stage 1 cam is VERY mild and MAY throw a CEL. the stage 2's WILL throw a CEL but the stage 3's don't and have the best overall performance gain. I think they were JB cams or something. But check 'em out and see what ya find! Pretty much ANY cam for the 2.2 Ecotecs from Cavy's to Sunfires to Cobys and HHR's will work. Its the same head.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info. Now i just have to sneak around my wife.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
One thing about the 2.2 I have found out with cams is there are a TON for them. Forget the CobaltSS.net site because most there don't do alot with the cams. Check out www.ecotecforum.com and they have a large discussion as well as specs and such on cams for the 2.2... One of the things mentioned in this forum was that a stage 1 cam is VERY mild and MAY throw a CEL. the stage 2's WILL throw a CEL but the stage 3's don't and have the best overall performance gain. I think they were JB cams or something. But check 'em out and see what ya find! Pretty much ANY cam for the 2.2 Ecotecs from Cavy's to Sunfires to Cobys and HHR's will work. Its the same head.
Yup, he's basically correct. Same head and same camshaft towers. Even the 2.2 and 2.0 engines share the same head characteristics.

Now, as far as using camshafts and street "legality", it's talking about emissions for the most part. When ever you're changing the amount of airflow entering your combustion chamber, you're changing the amount of exhaust waste thats leaving your engine. With camshafts, you're actually changing the amount of air entering and exhaust leaving during the engines 4 stroke processess. So this means as far as emissions, you're allowing more exhaust to leave than you were before and you're also creating more exhaust by allowing more airflow to enter than before (to explain it in simple terms).

Now, anytime you change a critical part like your camshaft or anything significant that changes your air consumption, you need (or should) adjust the amount of fuel that enters your combustion chamber as well. Each engine runs off and air to fuel ratio. You need to keep a balance of both, you can't just shove air in and call it a day.

The biggest issue that you'll face is trying to provide proper fuel management because of the factory computers.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.