2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

2.2 Spark Plug pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 AM

2.2 Spark Plug pictures

I went to change out my stock plugs this morning to the Bosch #4482 +4s that have gotten such good reviews lately. I snapped a few pictures to show how easy this is on the Ecotec 2.2.

Once you get the intake off this is what everything looks like. The plugs are under the black plastic cover in the middle of the motor. The plug on the right side has to be disconnected. It is a two part disconnect, the grey part of the tab moves first and then you release the black clip and it slides right off. There are 4 bolts which hold down the cover, remove them, and lift the cover off.

Name:  DSC01295.jpg
Views: 3567
Size:  45.1 KB

This is the spark plug cover and the spark plug boots. You'll notice, no long stringy spark plug wires to deal with here.

Name:  DSC01296.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  37.2 KB

Here is the motor minus the plug cover. The spark plugs are down there in those holes. In case you have not worked on a motor with deep plugs before, DO NOT let this intimidate you.

Name:  DSC01297.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  45.7 KB

Here are both plugs side by side. The stock plugs shown here have 14,000 miles on them.

Name:  DSC01298.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  45.7 KB

This picture shows my plug socket on the end of a 6 inch extention to give you an idea of where the plugs are in realtion to the top of the holes.

Name:  DSC01299.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  45.6 KB

IMPORTANT TIP #1: I'm sure there are different tools and methods for getting to deep plugs, here's how I do it. I use two spark plug sockets, one with the rubber insert and one without. The one with is used to remove the plug. Next I push the new plug far enough into the rubber insert to hold the plug while I start it by hand. Once I feel the threads take hold I pull out the socket with the rubber insert and change to the socket without the insert. The socket without the insert will not try to grip the top of the plug, it is only used to tighten up. This makes it easy to remove the socket from the hole without a fight.

IMPORTANT TIP #2: If you try to remove the socket with the rubber insert and it will not let go of the spark plug. DO NOT PANIC, the socket will not be stuck in your engine forever, just flip your rachet the work in the opposite direction and remove the plug and try again. Switch to the plug without the insert sooner next time.

I used anti-sieze on the plug threads and boot goo on the plug boots. Once you've changed all the plugs, reassemble in reverse order. I could tell an immediate change in my mid-range power.

I've changed plugs on many types of cars/trucks and the HHR was a simple straight forward job. The parts were easy to access and remove, no maze of wires to work around, no fuel rails in the way. Easy job in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:18 AM

Excellent job on showing how this is done. This should be in the How-To section...great explanation and pictures to go along.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks TX-HHR.
Now we need a 2.4L Demo. I may do it this afternoon and take picts.
There is quite a bit of difference between the two engines.

John
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Excellent job on showing how this is done. This should be in the How-To section...great explanation and pictures to go along.
Thanks Deb,

Just wanted to show everyone how easy these little cars are to work on.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by john 11
Thanks TX-HHR.

John

A 2.4 demo would be great. From the pictures I've seen of the 2.4 I think the process would be similar.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by john 11
Thanks TX-HHR.

John
I shot all the pics for the 2.4L yesterday, will post soon.

Don't waste your time swapping to the Bosch plugs in a 2.4L though; no power improvement at all. We did several G-Tech computer runs before and after and both the 0-60 and 1/4-mile times were actually slower with the new Bosch plugs than with the stock AC Delco plugs that had 9,000 miles on them.

We will be trying some other plug brands here to find out which (if any), is an improvement for the 2.4L.

Right now, it appears these Bosch Platinum +4 plugs only offer power improvements for teh 2.2L engine.

Hope it helps,
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I shot all the pics for the 2.4L yesterday, will post soon.

Don't waste your time swapping to the Bosch plugs in a 2.4L though; no power improvement at all. We did several G-Tech computer runs before and after and both the 0-60 and 1/4-mile times were actually slower with the new Bosch plugs than with the stock AC Delco plugs that had 9,000 miles on them.

We will be trying some other plug brands here to find out which (if any), is an improvement for the 2.4L.

Right now, it appears these Bosch Platinum +4 plugs only offer power improvements for teh 2.2L engine.

Hope it helps,
Mike

Thanks. I am just itching to do something on the HHR this afternoon when my wife gets back with it, but I guess I will wait on that. Maybe I'll just give her a good wash and cleaning. The HHR not my wife.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Mike,

Must be nice to have a G-tech to play with....

I don't have anything like that to qualify any changes, just the butt dyno. It's not like this change turns your HHR into a corvette, but I noticed the same mid-range change others have mentioned. I'm eagerly awaiting your report on different plugs.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Hope it helps,
Any chance we could talk you into testing the 2.2 and posting results so we can quantify improvements? I realize that may involve expenditure, so I'd understand if ya can't

Thanks for all your input (even if you aren't able to do this)
Old 09-09-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by TX-HHR
Mike,

Must be nice to have a G-tech to play with....

I don't have anything like that to qualify any changes, just the butt dyno. It's not like this change turns your HHR into a corvette, but I noticed the same mid-range change others have mentioned. I'm eagerly awaiting your report on different plugs.
I'm not discounting your gains at all, but rather feel this is specific to the 2.2L engine, as the 2.4L is losing a tiny bit of speed.

I spoke with CJ last night at length about this, and feel this is probably a worthwhile mod for 2.2L owners.

As we all know, the 2.2L & 2.4L engines are completely different animals.

If you have a 2.2L - I would say go for it!

Last edited by SoCalHHR; 09-09-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2.2 Spark Plug pictures