2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

2.4 Intake and Trifecta tune question

Old 11-25-2008, 08:04 PM

2.4 Intake and Trifecta tune question

I now have a 2.4 complete exhaust with a really nice Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler. My next mod will be the 2.4 intake manifold on the 2.2.

My question is on the dyno tests done by Crate Engine Depot they lost a little horse power and torque right around 3500 RPM. Yet it made more below that and above it. So that makes me think it is a fuel calibration or timing issue. I realize that the larger runners will help more at higher RPM but why is it making more below to?

1. Will a Trifecta tune clean up that torque loss at 3500?

2. Can a Trifecta tune calibrate for the larger 2.4 throttle body to?

I have access to the larger throttle body but I was told it would not work on the 2.2. Anyone know for sure?
Thanks in advance, Curly
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

Curly 1

Vince from Trifecta Performance will be stopping by to answer your question in more detail.

Basicly with a good description of what your wanting should be no problem.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM

Sounds good!

I posted this on the open forum rather than a private message as I think there are others who would also like to know. I have become a guenie pig here on several ideas.

My tune may be somewhat different than others as my goal is better mileage mostly and if it has better performance that is a nice plus. I probably will not have him eliminate any rev limiters or anything like that.

I am going to do some more testing on the exhaust and some testing on the intake and then the tune. Hopefully it will all come together as a complete package with the tune. Curly
Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Thanks Tom.

The biggest issue is that the 2.2 ECM is calibration to use speed density fueling calculations only, even though it has a MAF! You start changing the intake manifold tuning, and volumetric efficiencies are affected. Suddenly the tune in the ECM isn't correct anymore.

There's also the issue of PE Delay. The stock 2.2 ECM tune has a 5 second delay between the time you put the pedal down, to the time PE (power enrichment) comes on. At 3500 RPM, the mixture is still at 14.7, and we need it to be at 12.8 - 13.0 to make the best power.

So, it's a fueling issue, and the Trifecta tune addresses these issues by first forcing the ECM to use the MAF instead of speed density calculations, and second by removing the PE delay.

The other problem is if the car is an automatic, the shift points need to be raised to about 6500-6600 RPM instead of 6250 RPM (stock). A Trifecta tune addresses this as well.

The problem with installing the 2.4 throttle body on the 2.2 is the ECM will go into REDUCED ENGINE POWER mode because the ECM will see more airflow than it expects. The Trifecta tune addresses this issue as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:22 PM

Whether you go with the 2.4 intake or not, GET THE TUNE!!!!! I did it on my 2.4 with a CGS and Magnaflow muffler and the results are astounding! There is no delay, hit the gas and she goes. My personal mileage is down 2 mpg, but with the way I drive and the way the tune lets me drive I can live with it. I still get around 26-27 in town though so don't think it drops like a rock. Highway, if I am on a long stretch and reset the mileage I usuall hit somewhere between 40 and 50 mpg. I know that is biased towards the highway and cheating a little, but damn it makes you smile to see that!

Anyway, Trifecta rocks
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM

2.4 exhaust manifold

I have a 2007 HHR 2.2L auto,with a magnaflow muffler and a 2.4 intake manifold.
I am thinking about putting a 2007 HHR 2.4 exhaust manifold on.
Is there enough difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 to warrant the change. Is the install an straight forward bolt on.
What is the gm part# for the 2.4 exhaust manifold
I will be getting a Trifecta Tune at some point and maybe a 2.4 throttle body
Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM

On mine I put a 2.4 intake, Airiad intake filter, complete 2.4 exhaust, and Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, 2,4 throttle body and Trifecta tune.
The thing is I did all of that to get better gas mileage, let it breathe with less restriction and be more effecient. (as long as you keep your foot out of it)It helped a little but I have since taken the 2.4 throttle body off and removed the Trifecta tune. The reason was I had to take it back to Chevy house and did not want the tune on there because I do not want them to void the warranty.
The main difference I noticed with the Trifecta tune is that when you punch it the car reacts quicker and does not have that factory stumble. Also that it eliminates the top end speed limiter.
Like I said I did it for better mileage and it was little help there but I know it is running richer than it should be and there is not much I can do about that.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 AM

This is an old post but a good one as it helps explain the short comings of the STOCK GM tune vs trying to make more power and how the PCM want to be very "controlling".

IMO its good to get a basic clean up of the file but if you start to do more stuff the part throttle and WOT adjustments are equally as important.

My ONLY concern is if I was reading this correct was for the actual tuning vs having to pass emissions as in CT we need to be able to do a scannable emissions test and we need to have so many monitors in a ready status and if I read this incorrect, pls correct me.

Vin stated to tune the car in Speed Density, which is very useful in getting rid of many driveability issues in other GM pcms. BUT does that create a issue with SES lights or DTC codes?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Two of my Trifecta Tune customers have told me their Tune did pass the state emissions test in their state.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Good to hear, in connecticut and when it comes to Fbodies (namely 99-2002 PCMs) tuning a car on Speed Density and leaving SD will fail. When I tuned my own LT1 on (Tuner Cats) you did everything in SD for WOT and then adjust other tables to compensate. But that 1994 LT1 had roller or sniffer emissions.

Maybe a clean up question. Does those cars stay in SD??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.4 Intake and Trifecta tune question