2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:09 PM

Welcome to the site

I would start by doing a compression test. It will rule out or confirm major engine damage which could cause your no start problem.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:36 AM

When I read the part about hearing the water pump I was concerned too.... IF it stalled due to overheating you may have done some severe damage. That's why you should always watch your temp gauge and periodically check temp through the display.... a lot of cars have a temperature that acts as a "point of no return" and you should immediately pull over. For the HHR fans kick in at 217 and mine when I watch the temp they kick in at 217(you can hear it) and the temp goes to 219 then immediately drops down to close to 180. I have heard that 235 and up is death for these all aluminum engines.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Welcome to the site

I would start by doing a compression test. It will rule out or confirm major engine damage which could cause your no start problem.
My guess is that this will tell the story. My guess is that the outcome is not gonna be good.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

I don't usually poke fun at someones misfortune, but in this case it sounds like it may be terminal.

Or, in old school language..........
Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 AM

Has anyone else even noticed the coolant issue (i.e. coolant leaked out) besides donbrew??? Running, or trying to start, your vehicle with low or no coolant is a horrible idea that could lead to a major repair bill...
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by chaosdsm
Has anyone else even noticed the coolant issue (i.e. coolant leaked out) besides donbrew??? Running, or trying to start, your vehicle with low or no coolant is a horrible idea that could lead to a major repair bill...
Damaged radiator also !
Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 AM
Technical Moderator

Lately there have been a few that don't seem to think coolant is important.

Probably has to do with cars becoming so reliable that nody knows how to open the hood.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

I'm sure everyone has noticed the damage he stated and loss off coolant. If he can't get it started, then it's a mute point. He can fix that after getting the car started.

You can start a car up without coolant in it. Just don't let it keep running and over heat. Once the no start issue gets resolved, it will be time for those damage repairs.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Deceased

Well Tommy to the forum!

I'm afraid that after reading all the posts above, I'm going to say that your engine is a goner, if they overheat to the point of stalling/locking up...it's game over.

At this point, start seriously thinking about starting your week by talking to a trusted mechanic or your dealership about a used/re-manufactured engine.

Sorry to be another addition to the "doom and gloom" group, but hard won experience has shown us over the years that HHR's absolutely Will Not tolerate extreme overheating.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I'm sure everyone has noticed the damage he stated and loss off coolant. If he can't get it started, then it's a mute point. He can fix that after getting the car started.

You can start a car up without coolant in it. Just don't let it keep running and over heat. Once the no start issue gets resolved, it will be time for those damage repairs.
Since the water pump is operated by the timing chain, if the water pump has seized up, it could theoretically keep the car from staring........

Unless it's below freezing, starting / running your vehicle without coolant is a bad idea. Even then, having no coolant can cause your water pump to burn out leading to a much more costly repair. But since OP was driving when he lost coolant, I'm guessing the car has already reached this point & ruined the engine.

Quick Reply: Car won't start