2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Exhaust question?

Old 01-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Producing, selling and shipping a full cat-back is just not possible for us now. The "package" we will sell consists of a weld-on muffler and exhaust tip. Since the HHR currently uses 2-1/4 tubing on the stock ehaust, it will provide some small power gains (est. 5-7hp).

At this stage, a full cat-back with 2-1/2" tubing will require a lot of money in testing and development (design, engineering, and dynoing). We cant' justify that - and such a system would also require big shipping fees (heavy/oversize), so it's not feasible for us. Additionally, it has not yet been proven that 2-1/2" tubing performs well on an HHR. I had a '70's El Camino that did much better on 2-1/4 than 2-1/2...

The setup we will sell offers a few things:
  • Better, deeper sound than stock - with no "ricey" resonation.
  • Small Performance Gain
  • Low Price
  • Low Shipping Cost
  • Unique Appearance (special tip)

I'm sure it won't appeal to everyone, but for the price, it will be a great upgrade with exceptional value.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Well. Get on the ball and start selling it :) J/k I'm sure your doing everything you can to get a quality product to us as fast as you can.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

I wish I could hear Big Jim's exhaust. I want Magnaflow. If your not going to sell them SoCal you should remove it from the home page of your site.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:32 PM

I think 5-7 hp gain would be pushing it with just a muffler.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by snksknr94
I think 5-7 hp gain would be pushing it with just a muffler.
Not at all. It all depends on how restrictive the stock unit is. I once got a verified 12hp gain on a Jeep CJ7 just by changing out the muffler. I've installed over 250 mufflers on my own vehicles in my lifetime, and I can easily tell when there is a performance gain. (I do a lot of "shootouts" when changing exhausts. The muffler we will be selling felt stronger than stock while both riding in the car and watching from outside.

The big thing for me (and I imagine many HHR owners), is that I don't want to spend $350+ on a "brand M" system, then find out after it's installed that it sounds too "ricey" for me. That is why Kenny's muffler caught my attention. It has the sound I think many owners are looking for, and adds a little pep (more than the Magnaflow or Flowmaster muyfflers, according to Kenny), without breaking the bank - or having to go through the trial and error $$$ that Kenny already did. I think many owners will appreciate that.

Of course, you don't have to believe it or buy one, so you are welcome to draw your own conclusions. Freedom of choice is what our country was founded upon.

CH: done.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Not at all. It all depends on how restrictive the stock unit is. I once got a verified 12hp gain on a Jeep CJ7 just by changing out the muffler. I've installed over 250 mufflers on my own vehicles in my lifetime, and I can easily tell when there is a performance gain. (I do a lot of "shootouts" when changing exhausts. The muffler we will be selling felt stronger than stock while both riding in the car and watching from outside.

The big thing for me (and I imagine many HHR owners), is that I don't want to spend $350+ on a "brand M" system, then find out after it's installed that it sounds too "ricey" for me. That is why Kenny's muffler caught my attention. It has the sound I think many owners are looking for, and adds a little pep (more than the Magnaflow or Flowmaster muyfflers, according to Kenny), without breaking the bank - or having to go through the trial and error $$$ that Kenny already did. I think many owners will appreciate that.

Of course, you don't have to believe it or buy one, so you are welcome to draw your own conclusions. Freedom of choice is what our country was founded upon.

CH: done.
I just don't think I'd be advertising a HP claim with out the numbers to back it up yet.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by SocalHHR
Of course, you don't have to believe it or buy one, so you are welcome to draw your own conclusions. Freedom of choice is what our country was founded upon
He isn't really advertising it. Just guesstimating. And as he said you don't have to believe him :)
Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 AM

I think the 60 series from Flowmaster sounds good.I'm all about sound and could really care less about performance.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 AM

Ideas on Exhaust Tips

Does anyone have any idea where I could find some decently designed and decently priced exhaust tips to fit on the current exhaust? I didn't order the currently offered factory exhaust tip because I would like to find something a little more unique, and formfitting that's not going to require a lot of, if at all, welding to install the exhaust tip. Also, what dimensions of exhaust tips should I be looking for? Anything helps. Thanks y'all.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by txsman2930
Does anyone have any idea where I could find some decently designed and decently priced exhaust tips to fit on the current exhaust? I didn't order the currently offered factory exhaust tip because I would like to find something a little more unique, and formfitting that's not going to require a lot of, if at all, welding to install the exhaust tip. Also, what dimensions of exhaust tips should I be looking for? Anything helps. Thanks y'all.
Go to the auto parts shops in your area and find something you like.