2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Finally got out to the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:40 PM

Finally got out to the drag strip

Holas! I finally made it out to the local strip here in Tucson (SIR). Only got 3 runs in but my best for the evening was 16.9 @ 82.34mph. I returned my HHR to stock intake and welded my stock exhaust back on for more "real world" numbers. Only thing I didn't reverse was the lowered stance. Not bad for 35+ mph winds and a ice cold track. I had a LOT of wheel hop off the line. Almost all the way through 1st gear. Hoping to find ways to reduce or eliminate this. Full time slip and specs as follows. 2006 HHR 1LT 2.2L 5spd, Full interior and full tank of gas, only options to include running boards and Pioneer system. Time slip::
Car # 8186

RT ... 0.121
60' ... 2.629
1/8 ... 11.020
9000 ... 14.257
1/4 ... 16.992
MPH ... 82.34

In 2 weeks they are having a test n tune here and I will set up my cold air intake and have the exhaust system welded back on to see if the runs are any better. Weather should be better, please note I am also still running on my crappy stock dealer tires. Maybe some new ones would help with the launch! These are just my results and may be different for anyone else depending on their driving style. I am not the greatest driver in the world and as such am posting this as an FYI to help anyone out. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

Good job, I can't believe you went back to stock just for the sake of getting stock numbers. The numbers aren't that impesive but I didn't think they would be. It will be cool to see the numbers after you put the intake and exhaust back on.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:52 PM

What intake did you have or going to put back on ?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM

The intake I have is a custom unit that me and a buddy put together more for "holy crap that sounds cool!" factor but then made it a cold air system the pulls in air from the driver side fender behind the foglight opening. We just bought some mandrel bends from a local hot rodshop, test fitted them, and then welded the pieces together. I am using a generic steel mesh cone filter and removed the blank plug from the bumper. the exhaust system is all 2.5" that I have with an Apex'i N1 canister from our local "honda" shop. The system helped remove the unnecessary bends and did feel like it killed some bottom end but the top end (read as freeway high speed driving ) really felt better. More like that "car is going faster than my butt in the chair" feeling. Once I have the whole system back on I will upload some pics.

Last edited by en0oNmAI; 03-13-2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-13-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
The intake I have is a custom unit that me and a buddy put together more for "holy crap that sounds cool!" factor but then made it a cold air system the pulls in air from the driver side fender behind the foglight opening. We just bought some mandrel bends from a local hot rodshop, test fitted them, and then welded the pieces together. I am using a generic steel mesh cone filter and removed the blank plug from the bumper.
I'm curious...what size piping did you use for your CAI? I attempted to make one a couple months ago, using the "standard size", but the ECU didn't like it. SoCal says that the piping has to be a smaller diameter. What's your take?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Hey can you post pictures next time your car is on the track? That would be cool
Old 03-13-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
The intake I have is a custom unit that me and a buddy put together more for "holy crap that sounds cool!" factor but then made it a cold air system the pulls in air from the driver side fender behind the foglight opening. We just bought some mandrel bends from a local hot rodshop, test fitted them, and then welded the pieces together. I am using a generic steel mesh cone filter and removed the blank plug from the bumper. the exhaust system is all 2.5" that I have with an Apex'i N1 canister from our local "honda" shop. The system helped remove the unnecessary bends and did feel like it killed some bottom end but the top end (read as freeway high speed driving ) really felt better. More like that "car is going faster than my butt in the chair" feeling. Once I have the whole system back on I will upload some pics.
That is the excellant choice where the air filter element should go.. not going down the back side of the engine, as I heard its being made currently..

the Cobalt utilizes that same area for their air intake area...

I'm awaiting parts to fab mine..
Old 03-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1 BAD HHR
I'm curious...what size piping did you use for your CAI? I attempted to make one a couple months ago, using the "standard size", but the ECU didn't like it. SoCal says that the piping has to be a smaller diameter. What's your take?
I used the stock size for the 90 degree bend to the throttle body and the stock diameter for the MAF or you will get a CEL. Other than that my piping is all 3" stuff. All aluminum and we are thinking of wrapping it all with header tape or coating with a ceramic paint to prevent heat soak. Before I put the other unit on I am going to try and get base dyno numbers. Just have to find the time to do it. This single dad gig is GREAT but sometimes there isn't enough time in a day!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:49 AM

You know what? When I was a kid (loooooooooooooong time ago). I would have been tickled to death to have a car that would do 82 mph in the quarter mile. As I got older and went to big block cars, that wasn't much. So returning to that speed in my "senior years" is all I need.

She's one month old, and I still can't find anything wrong with her.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Hey can you post pictures next time your car is on the track? That would be cool
I will have some video of a couple runs next week I can post as long as someone here will tape while I am in the car. I don't quite trust my 2 year old to do it yet! :)