2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

MAF sensor mount

Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Question MAF sensor mount

I am looking to put a cold air intake on my 2.2 but am having problems dealing with the mounting of the MAF sensor. I have searched everywhere and the only systems that will mount the MAF sensor are CGS, Airraid, and K&N. I was wanting to make one myself rather than dropping that amount of money on a kit. I was looking to use the Spectre components to make my own system, but they only have a 3" universal MAF mount that will throw an engine code.

Here is my question. Does anyone know the costs of just the piece that mounts the MAF by K&N or Airraid? Or better yet, does anyone have the neck that mounts it off of their factory airbox that they would like to sell? I don't want to cut mine up because I want to keep it in case I need it later.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Here's a pic of my old setup. i used 2.5" exhaust pipe and bolted on the bracket and sensor.
GM's MAF bracket part # 19166574
less than $20 shipped

Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Talking

Thanks for the help. I can get GM parts at my local GM garage/car dealer. I should be able to pick that up for about $10. Then bolt in on to a short piece of 2.5" exhaust, then run the spectre products from there. Spectre has a MAF sensor mount with adapter, but it is $40 and I can do this for about $15.

My plan is to run a cold air intake directly to the left (as you look down on the engine) and place the cone filter down in corner behind the passenger side headlight. I am then going to box it in and run a cold air tube up from below to feed the box cold air rather than engine compartment air. Sounds like a good plan, I just hope it works out like I think it will.

I will be going this in about 3 weeks or so, I'll post pics when I get it done.

Oh yeah, and I am aware that if I run it that way it will be over the radiator cap, and in the way of other stuff, but that is all stuff that I check every time I change the oil, and I will be cleaning the filter at that time too, so it will be removed for that. LOL Just letting everyone know. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by daddy2isaiah04

My plan is to run a cold air intake directly to the left (as you look down on the engine) and place the cone filter down in corner behind the passenger side headlight. I am then going to box it in and run a cold air tube up from below to feed the box cold air rather than engine compartment air. Sounds like a good plan, I just hope it works out like I think it will.
Simuliar to my setup,except mine runs to the other side.I also cut my MAF tube off the stock box(wasn't an easy cut,had to cut flush with the box)Mounted my cone filter up inside the fender well behind the headlight on a bracket I built.Then cut the foglight cover out to get more airflow.When I had the bumper cover off to install my depos,I figured out how to run the intake in aluminum tube(another project) The only drawback to the filter being in the fenderwell,is to clean or change it.You have to remove the wheel and pull back the inner fender.Other than that,it's a great cold air system.

Name:  001-16.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  75.5 KB
Name:  010-6.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  33.6 KB

Last edited by HHRNole; 07-09-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM

I considered that option, but took the trouble cleaning the filter into consideration. I then looked at a few other setups, and didn't really like them. Some of them seemed too high up on the engine and too far back, making it more of a hot air system. Others seemed to place the filter where I plan on placing it, but ran too far back, and curved back towards the front, like the CGS. My thought was that if I took a straight line towards where the filter would be, then the air would get to the engine that much quicker giving it less time to warm up due to the warm engine compartment. As CJ had mentioned, the warmer that air is, the less HP you will get from the cold air system. I am also going to run a tube from below to feed the cold air system as I am going to make a box similar to CJ's, and have the tube feeding cold air into the box to keep temps down.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 AM

HHRNole, I was looking at your setup again, and I really like it. I was considering using your idea. Did you notice any MPG or HP gains from this setup? Another thing that worries me about this setup is the possibility of getting moisture in the engine. I live in Ohio, where we get plenty of rain/snow. How dry does the Filter stay in the fender well? Lastly, how long is the Spectre air duct that you ran down to the filter?