2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

2.4L Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM

I'll make good on my vid shortly. I got all the parts needed to convert over to a 6 rib setup except longer alternator bolts. Waiting on those from the dealer right now as I could not find a hardware store with M8x1.25x125mm. Not sure if they'll make it before the weekend or not. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 AM

Cool sounds good
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Ha! Quick update on my build:

I was beating the HHR pretty hard one night and now I am picking up some cylinder 3 kr...lots of it. Drives normal, but as soon as I go WOT it pulls all the timing. I started getting this whining noise coming from the engine as well. So far I have swapped plugs, coil packs, injectors, did compression test and the kr was still cyl 3 so I pulled off the oil pan. Noticed a super fine glitter in the oil. Pulled the oil filter and cut it up to see if there were any metal pieces in it but there is not. Checked all the rod bearings and they still look good, but I bought some more and I hope to have those in by the end of the day. Also ordered a balance shaft delete and that should arrive before the weekend. I ordered the delete kit thinking I spun the rear balance shaft bearings from the constant 5-7k rpms I was doing that night. If those bearings are bad and contacting that could very well explain the knock sensor picking up knock. Now I just wish I had done the delete with the motor out cause this may be a PITA in the car. I can already see I need to tilt the motor down quite a bit to get the balance shafts out.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Good to see someone messing around with a supercharged HHR motor.
I am getting near bringing out my supercharged street car as soon as the salt is off the roads, cant wait, keep us updated and good luck.

Last edited by bigjacksauto; 03-15-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Ha! Quick update on my build:

I was beating the HHR pretty hard one night and now I am picking up some cylinder 3 kr...lots of it. Drives normal, but as soon as I go WOT it pulls all the timing. I started getting this whining noise coming from the engine as well. So far I have swapped plugs, coil packs, injectors, did compression test and the kr was still cyl 3 so I pulled off the oil pan. Noticed a super fine glitter in the oil. Pulled the oil filter and cut it up to see if there were any metal pieces in it but there is not. Checked all the rod bearings and they still look good, but I bought some more and I hope to have those in by the end of the day. Also ordered a balance shaft delete and that should arrive before the weekend. I ordered the delete kit thinking I spun the rear balance shaft bearings from the constant 5-7k rpms I was doing that night. If those bearings are bad and contacting that could very well explain the knock sensor picking up knock. Now I just wish I had done the delete with the motor out cause this may be a PITA in the car. I can already see I need to tilt the motor down quite a bit to get the balance shafts out.
any updates?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Got the rod bearings in on Saturday. Spent about 4 hours working on it today. Installed the balance shaft delete kit, set the timing and got the oil pan back on. Tomorrow I hope to find time to get the front cover on and reinstall the trans mounts. Hard to find time to do this with work and the awesome March weather. Got 10 hours of mountain biking in in the last 4 days. I gotta say I miss driving the HHR though.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 AM

Sounds good glad to hear that you are still plugging away at it.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 PM

Fired it up. All is well at this point. Didn't take it for a drive yet, but the engine whining noise is certainly gone. The engine vibrations are shaking the whole car now with the balance shaft delete and my poly mounts. I am waiting for a response from Powell for their rotated trans mounts and I will order those up asap. I like the TTR mounts, but the vibes are really bad now without balance shafts. Going to drive a few miles, oil change, repeat, then synthetic. Just want to get the remaining bearing material out of the system quickly.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 AM

Glad to hear that its alive again.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM

I like your sig bigjack. Hows the new rig treating ya?

I was able to get out and drive the HHR a bit today. I did 3 oil changes to make sure there was no debris left in the engine. Powell accidentally sent me the SS trans mounts so I was only able to use the rear mount(same for both). Still waiting on the front mount, but the vibes are reasonable with only one poly mount left. I revved out to 7200 several times today with the 2.9" pulley...next time I drive I am going to put the 2.7" back on and spin it up to 7500 and work my way up to 7800rpms. I stopped by a performance shop today and I am going to set up some dyno time to dial in the tune within the next few weeks. Not going to be the same dyno as before because this one is much closer. The last dyno I did on the stock bottom end was on a Dynojet and this is a mustang dyno. I also put the stock muffler back on cause it was so dang loud. On the 2.9" pulley I am now making .5psi more boost than the 2.7". So I know there is good restriction there. I hope to dyno both the stock muffler and the Magnaflow. Guessing at 7800rpms it will make a big difference.

Quick Reply: 2.4L Engine Build