2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Cold air intake?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Talking Cold air intake?

Being an old fashioned shade tree mechanic with limited funds I thought I might try something a little differant.

Notice there is a small change under the hood.......

Cold air from high pressure area in front.......

I will not take credit for the entire idea. I first saw the modification to the stock airbox at the Gatlinburg G2G last spring. Finally got around to doing the rest of the intake set up last weekend.

What is involved......
Cutting the stock air box down to the size of the actual box (cutting off the engine cover part)
Making a new connection on the other side of the airbox. I used sheet aluminum to form a new mounting tube.
Modify a brush attachment for a shop vac. (New intake port under the front cross beam.) Remove the brush and increase the size of the rear opening with another sheet metal tube. (I still need to make the opening larger in these pictures)
Modify the stock fuel line mount by bending it about 45 degrees toward the intake box, to clear the new tube.
Reuse the stock insulated cold air tube, with a new hose clamp holding it to the intake at the front.

Anyway thats my cheap cold air intake. Total cost Approx. $25
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 PM

A great idea all the way around. I see a solid starting point for a great CAI. I also like the idea of trimming all excess from the housing too. Good job!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM

Two things I forgot to note.
You have to close off the old opening in the air filter box
You will notice there is a drain hole in the filter cover next to a rib. I drilled a new drain hole on the other side of that rib because the intake tube is now on the other side.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Please forgive me for asking as I like to fiddle around with stuff too, but how is that set up better than taking cold air from the inner fender as the stock location does?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM

While I did not measure it the theory is that there will be higher air pressure in front of the radiator. The fender area is a mostly dead air pocket, where as the area in front of the radiator is fed fresh air from the grill and under the bumper. That air flow is then restricted by the fins of the condensor and the radiator, causing a higher air pressure.

Chevy has actually used the same idea on the Corvettes, and the Camaros.

Corvette Intake

Also doing it my way the stock intake hose makes only one 90 degree bend instead of the way the factory has it making almost two complete 90 degree bends.

And to be honest I don't know if it will do much really, just thought I would give it a try.....
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 PM

I assume you didn't get any dyno numbers, does your "butt dyno" have any feel for an increase in power? Any different sound?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM

Out of curiosity, why did you switch to the driver side for the tube? No room on the passenger side to pass air?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM

I have not had much time to Butt Dyno it yet..... to much work. It feels a little stronger accelerating from highway speeds.

Yes, drivers side was because of very limited space on passenger side, would have required longer tubing to get to a place with clear access to the front....The longer the tube the more restriction and the more the air heats up.

I also want to try a K+N filter, the stock replacement style.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 PM

Ok so here's the final update............

Finished off the mod with the factory replacement style K+N filter, and increased the tube size of the shop vac attachment so its the proper size for the air hose.

Now for the results.............
With the mod done with the stock paper filter there seemed to be a little better performance from about 3k to redline. With the K+N filter added the differance is more noticable at about the same RPM range. I also noticed when accelerating from say 35 mph, like an on ramp, the car down shifted nice and definately took off better. Standing starts are not much changed from stock but it builds rpm noticably quicker.

All in all, I am very pleased with my low cost cold air intake. Total cost, including a lightly used K+N filter from a board member (thanks again)
Just under $50 and about 4 hours time........

Might not be as pretty as aftermarket but the hood is closed most of the time anyway...........

With this and my Magnaflow exhaust, I think a good tune is all I really need now......Or Maybe an SS
Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Nice job HHorange

I like it..
Anybody can plunk down $$$ for a fancy part (if U got it ? ), but creativity is the part I appreciate on a budget..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold air intake?