2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Cold Air Intake System Weapon R Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Computers control the advance on our engines, and listen for detonation knock. I believe that the computer will advance the engine more if we use premium fuel, hence the better performance. Years ago an owner/vendor tested octane booster tablets. I tried them myself, and you really could feel the difference as the engine adjusted itself to the higher fuel grade. Then again, this is not meant to be a race car, and unless you are nailing it all the time and need that additional performance, the extra price of premium gas may not be worth it (although I use it myself).
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
cold air intake Computers control the advance on our engines, and listen for detonation knock. I believe that the computer will advance the engine more if we use premium fuel, hence the better performance. Years ago an owner/vendor tested octane booster tablets. I tried them myself, and you really could feel the difference as the engine adjusted itself to the higher fuel grade. Then again, this is not meant to be a race car, and unless you are nailing it all the time and need that additional performance, the extra price of premium gas may not be worth it (although I use it myself).
Do you have any mods?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Computers control the advance on our engines, and listen for detonation knock. I believe that the computer will advance the engine more if we use premium fuel, hence the better performance. Years ago an owner/vendor tested octane booster tablets. I tried them myself, and you really could feel the difference as the engine adjusted itself to the higher fuel grade. Then again, this is not meant to be a race car, and unless you are nailing it all the time and need that additional performance, the extra price of premium gas may not be worth it (although I use it myself).
I've said it before , there is absolutely a difference with how the HHR runs on premium compared to low grade. It seems to take a tank or 2 before the computer is caught up. I tested this bone stock car. The car just seems to sound/feel more healthy on premium so I only run it now. Tuned ECU on the way so I don't really have a choice at this point. But seriously try it , at least 2 tanks. Were talking a couple bucks tops (even with Cali gas prices!)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by fincsher
Do you have any mods?
Minor performance stuff-CGS air system, Autolite plugs (an owner/vendor from this site tested them and they help performance), turbo muffler, Tunetime computer update, with suspension upgrades leveling springs, shorter shocks, rear swaybar).
Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 PM

I would advise against any cold air intake,
my 07 2LT was the test mule for the Dragon Weapon-R intake,
I now have a engine that consumes 1 qt of oil per 60 miles of driving
the intake let too much dirt in,
do u think Weapon-R will buy me a new engine?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by novadude
I would advise against any cold air intake,
my 07 2LT was the test mule for the Dragon Weapon-R intake,
I now have a engine that consumes 1 qt of oil per 60 miles of driving
the intake let too much dirt in,
do u think Weapon-R will buy me a new engine?

Words to live by.

FWIW, I automatically walk away from any vehicle whenever I find any of these aftermarket "filters" under the hood.