2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

K&N air intake problem. anyone else have problem?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 PM

Angry K&N air intake problem. anyone else have problem?

HELP!!!! I installed a K&N air intake and filter about a year ago, and was very happy until I took the filter off to clean it. I noticed that the bottom of the filter and the air box were both really worn out because they had been touching and the engine vibrations caused them to rub together. I am waiting on a reply from the K&N tech support about what to do, but i am interested to see if anyone else has had this problem. I'm pretty mad that I spent $300 bucks on something only for it to wear out shortly after it's installation. I guess i would feel better knowing if others have had a similar problem. If nobody has noticed, i would suggest that you take a look cause this can cause filtration problems.

Also, I love the smilies on the forum
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 PM

This is the main reason I didn't even look at the K&N set-up after I saw a picture of it. I went with the cgs intake because it's more of a "traditional" cold-air intake and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about anything like this. Hopefully K&N will give you some positive answer and possibly re-design their set-up or at least replace yours for free
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 PM

yeah i didn't even think of that. I went with the K&N because I liked how it was enclosed just like the factory one was, but it allowed the car to breathe better, but i didn't expect it to wear out. Anyone reading this please post if you've had same problem!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by 06gray2ltHHR
yeah i didn't even think of that. I went with the K&N because I liked how it was enclosed just like the factory one was, but it allowed the car to breathe better, but i didn't expect it to wear out. Anyone reading this please post if you've had same problem!!!!

Yes sir same problem. Luckily I had to remove it to do something else. I noticed the wear marks on the box. When I put back on I did not seat all the way down on the throttle body. I have the top of the tube touching the top of the hole in the box.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 AM

K&N will stand by their product. I've seen them replace items that even got run over before.

You got the better product, only other one I would buy if I wanted to would be the GMPP one.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by txbass06
I went with the cgs intake because it's more of a "traditional" cold-air intake and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about anything like this.
The CSG is the poster child of a "hot" air intake. Not only is it open to the motor, but the hot air from the manifold flow around the motor straight into it.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM

I had to take the k&n off again today to put a header on. I cut a small piece of weather stripping about a half inch tall and put on the rubber surround at the top and bottom. I then fully seated the tube onto the throttle body. Thought it may help to let you know when they send you a new one.
Have a nice day.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM

This helps a lot thanks. I hope that K&N will send me a new one, cause mine is almost completely worn out.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 PM

For anyone who reads this, i thought it might interest you to know that after about a week of contacting K&N tech support, they sent me a new air box, filter, and filter adapter. They said that they had never heard of this problem, but they would go ahead and send me the replacement parts that i needed.
i could not prevent the filter from touching the air box, so i went to a local home improvement store and bought a gasket from the plumbing supplies to seal of the gap in the front of the air box. (for anyone wondering, it was a 3" rubber sewer pipe joint that i cut a 3/4" section out of so that it would wrap around the intake tube, and hold it perfectly in place in the air box.)
K&N does not reccomend closing off this hole, but i don't see the purpose of it being there considering the intake from the fender is a 2.5" tube, and the pipe going off the filter into the engine is 2.5" in diameter. the engine isn't going to be able to take in any more air than the fender supply already provides.
I hope this helps anyone with a K&N air intake