Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Can we install LED tail light bulbs without issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Good choice!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
I've done quite a bit of searching for led lights that will be bright enough to work with blacked out taillights and it seems the only bulbs that will do the trick are super expensive. The bulbs that super bright LEDs have won't be enough(even their brightest bulb) based in reviews on different forums from members who have tried them with blacked out tail lights. This is what I'm working with:

Running lights:

I got pulled over by a state trooper and he issued me a "fix it" ticket. So if I do end up going with a bright led and it ends up not being enough then that will be money and time wasted. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna pull the trigger on these IPCW tail lights so I can just be done with it, no worries. Appreciate all the responses and info, thanks gentlemen.
Have you considered mounting LED rings inside the lights instead of using LED bulbs? I modify tail lights as a hobby and could help with that if you're interested.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
Have you considered mounting LED rings inside the lights instead of using LED bulbs? I modify tail lights as a hobby and could help with that if you're interested.
Yea, someone did mention this to me. If I had more time I would have looked further into it. I already purchase the ipcw light but I will have my old ones and I still want to see what I can do with them. I think the blacked out look will still look better than the ipcw in the day light but time is of the essence here and I don't want any more state troopers or police bothering me cuz they were bored and had nothing better to do. Plus I have to have the ticket approved within 10 days. I didn't think my lights were that dim and the law says if they are visible from 500 ft away then it's fine but apparently the popo don't think so. Thanks colodude, will be in touch
Old 02-05-2015, 04:29 PM

Well I learned that the stock HHR tail lights do not come apart in one piece...
They are plastic welded together like more and more late model year taillights.
Using two sets I put these together. I'll get more/better pictures this weekend. The LED tubes are very bright and I think they would work with a darker tint.