Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Custom grill and running boards?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Custom grill and running boards?

Some of you may remember back when I first got into HHRs, I did a little Photoshopping of what I wanted to make our HHR looks like. Specifically the grill and the running boards would have been custom pieces. At the time it seemed like a lot of people might be interested but I had a hard time finding a source for the grill. The running boards would be simple enough.

I mentioned in another thread that I just took one of my Fieros down to LA for some custom body work. I talked to the designer about the HHR and later sent him some pics of my PS work. Turns out he used to be a concept car designer for Mitsubishi and is now doing his own work in LA. He got very excited about the look of the HHR and says he can make the parts easily.

My question is: If I build them, will they come? It is going to cost me a fair chunk of money to prototype these but if enough people seem interested I don't mind putting up the front money. The running boards would be first. They will come plain so people can cut in their own exhaust outlet if they want. The designer said he didn't mind making two molds but I said some people may not want rectangular holes. The grill would come next if we have success with the running boards. Then he wants to do new front and rear bumpers. Not a copy of the SS but something else that will dress up the HHR.

In case you can't tell from the PS, the running boards would be totally straight down the sides and flat on top. There would be no dip like the original, or that round part sticking out the side.

Thoughts?

Here is the last one I did showing the running boards and grill.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 PM

I like the boards, they look good, any idea how much they could cost?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
ecl

those look good. I would be intrested for sure.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 PM

No exact pricing yet but the dealer wants around $400 for the factory steps. I would say we could be real competitive with that but give you a custom look.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM

Would be intrested in the grill, Will it be fabrictaed out of metal, with options in stainless, and chrome? Looks nice. I am L.A. local..does he need a guiena pig...
Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 AM

The Unique Performance HHR and the Year One HHR both have custom boards like you're thinking of...look nice! https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ight=sema+2005
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 AM

Not quite... The Year One HHR has stock running boards with an exhaust outlet cut into it. The Unique Performance one is not really even running boards. It is more like roll pans on the sides. But they do have the exhaust cut out on the side like mine if that is what you mean.

Ralph, the grill will be fiberglass, with option of chromed or paintable. No guinea pig needed I'm afraid. That's my job since I designed the parts! haha.. But look on the bright side. You can save on shipping when the time comes!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Need the grill. Harvey says he needs the grill. Wheres the grill. I want the grill. Get me the grill.
Looken good Dale, I am glad that this might come off and I wish you best of luck.
See ya down the road
Bud-Harvey
Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM

We likewise covet this grill (both upper and lower). Hharry and I will be watching for the finished product....
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM

I'd be up for both. I really like the grille, and side exhaust is always a cool touch to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom grill and running boards?