Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?

Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Member #: 58172
Check out my gallery 
Door rust???

I noticed at the bottom inside of both front doors, there are bubbles of rust forming!!. I haven't seen anything like this since I owned a 1980 Mazda RX-7
25 years ago! I took a small screwdriver and scraped away, and rust it is.
Is this normal for a 2009 MY HHR??
Turboo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Premium Member

Member #: 15263
Check out my gallery 
Yes it is common in the Snow States! Feel free to use the above "search feature" for more threads on this subject .....

Best-O-Luck ,

BONNIE and KEVIN DRAKE / DLVRNIT / 2008 1LT PANEL
18" SS COBALT WHEELS / SS FRONT & REAR PERFORMANCE SEATS / SS 140 MPH SPEEDO / SS STRUTS and SHOCKS / SS REAR SPOILER / SS STEERING WHEEL / TCE-WILWOOD BIG BRAKE KIT / EIBACH PRO SPRINGS / EIBACH FRONT SWAY BAR / OTT HARDCORE REAR SWAY BAR / CERAMIC COATED EXHAUST / GMPP EXHAUST MANIFOLD / MAGNAFLOW STAINLESS EXHAUST / HIGH FLOW CAT DOWN PIPE / TRIFECTA TUNE / JET PERFORMANCE MAS / POWDER COATED VALVE COVER & CGS CAI / 3 BAR GRILL.....
Mrs. DLVRNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Member #: 6700
Check out my gallery 
They best way to help combat this is to keep a small towel in the car to wipe down the door bottoms and jams one or two times a week. The way the doors curve cause a little buildup at those seams. Five years doing this... Still no rust.

"Bonnie" is BLK SS w/Blk-Red Interior, Auto, Tuned & Absolutely Loaded! Purchased 1/15/08

MODS: GMTU, HAHN Hot&Cold IC Piping, K&N Filter, TTR Sway Bar, HAHN 3" Exhaust, HAHN Cat-less DP, Wheelskin, Carbon Fiber Dash, SS Overlays, Airlift DragBags, TTR MotorMount, Custom Air-Box...... More to come

My Design Site: www.chfdesigns.com
foolmoon_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #4

Member #: 58172
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolmoon_design View Post
They best way to help combat this is to keep a small towel in the car to wipe down the door bottoms and jams one or two times a week. The way the doors curve cause a little buildup at those seams. Five years doing this... Still no rust.
Thanx for the advice but it seems to be too late. Looks like I'll have to scrape it down and repaint.
Turboo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Premium Member

Member #: 55119
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolmoon_design View Post
Wouldn't it be less hassle to skin over the seams with silicone?

2011 2LT / Black Granite Metallic / Ebony
Dracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

Member #: 5666
Check out my gallery 
This may sound a little off the wall - but the first time it happened on my 2007 I took it into the dealer and they repainted the bottom of all four doors. That was in 2009 - since then it started to creep up on the doors again in 2011. This is the off the wall part - I sanded down the bottom of the front two doors, had some color match paint mixed up and put in spray cans at a local paint shop, mixed up some JB Weld, spread a thin layer of JB Weld over the seam area, let it cure for three days, lightly sanded it, and repainted the bottom of my doors. Seams to have cured the issue for me. Good luck.
Mods: Color Matched Running Boards, Custom Fit HHR Splash Gaurds, Dark Tinted Front Windows and Front Eyebrow, Custom MOMO 5-Spoke Rims with Dunlop Signature Tires, AirAid Intake Tube and Filter, Hidden Trailer Hitch, and TTR Rear Sway Bar

TiggersHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #7

Member #: 17923
Check out my gallery 
I am actually taking mine into the dealership body shop this morning for this issue. I am still under the factory rust through warranty til February 2013. So if it is covered I want it fixed by GM since it seems to be an issue that GM knew about and addressed along the way.
If not covered, I will fix myself. Anyone who decides to go this route, because of location, it is a very DIY job, providing the rust is surface only. I can certainly advise anyone on the repair if they are planning it in there driveway. Cost is about $50 for material if your paint code can be purchased over the counter. If it has to be custom mixed because it is not available OTC, cost would rise to about $75.

It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
IMPALADAKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Member #: 4311
Check out my gallery 
I suspect that the corrosion is on the inside of the door skin creeping through the seam. When I lived in the snow belt, all my cars had the seam bubbles after a few years, I believe that there isn't much you can do to really fix the issue except to perform temporary sand clean, repaint and repeat in a couple of years. Unless you open up the door panels to see just how much corrosion is on the inside all you will be doing is covering up the issue.

When I had the issue with one Chevy, covered under "lifetime rust through", all the dealer did is sand, slap on some bondo and repaint. It started bubbling again and I ended up covering the area with a fiberglass sheet overlapping the seam sanded smooth and repainted. It looked fine. I don't know how long that lasted as the car went to Maine and it was there for a few years until the corrosion got the best of the car.
Old Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM

submit to reddit