Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

How much do the wheels weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:50 AM

How much do the wheels weigh?

Does anybody know the weight of the factory 17 inch polished wheels? I am going to finally replace them, and lighter means faster
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Lee, you finally decide on some?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 AM

not sure see if i can find out for you!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Before I decide, I want to make sure that it weights less or the same as my existing wheels. Function is very important to me, so the weight will play an important factor. Mike mentioned that his wheels are heavier than stock and slowed him down. I would like to use lighter wheels, even if they don't look as fancy. (I cant see them when I am driving anyway).

This is why I try to avoid going anywhere with my wife and kids. Their added weight in my car hurts the performance
Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Lee, I agree with you 100% on the wheel weight, the lighter the better. I am convinced that driving without my wheelcovers has improved my gas mileage, and the car seems faster. Does anybody know how much the stock steel wheel weighs? I know I saved 1.5 lbs by removing the wheelcovers.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:47 PM

We had to weigh our for shipping when we sold the one's off my wife's car. They come in right about 25lbs. per.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by thedonn007
Lee, I agree with you 100% on the wheel weight, the lighter the better. I am convinced that driving without my wheelcovers has improved my gas mileage, and the car seems faster. Does anybody know how much the stock steel wheel weighs? I know I saved 1.5 lbs by removing the wheelcovers.
Do you really believe that the weight of wheel covers, or even the diffeence in weight from one wheel to another really affects performance, speed or fuel economy? In the context of the weight of the vehicle itself, plus fuel plus driver, it is negligible. A good feed and a person will put on 1.5 pounds....But if you say so...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:56 PM

It's not the weight of the car, is the rotating mass the drivetrain must spin. Less mass equals quicker acceleration because of the lesser amount of power needed to spin the wheels.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:19 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by longhorn
It's not the weight of the car, is the rotating mass the drivetrain must spin. Less mass equals quicker acceleration because of the lesser amount of power needed to spin the wheels.
Ummmm..........Isn't the full weight of the vehicle resting on the wheels? So the drivetrain must spin and still move 3,000 lbs+. Am I missing something?
I'm with nfboy on this.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Sorry to disagree guys/gals... but I'm with Lee on this one.
One word sums it up: "INERTIA".
It IS fact that it takes more power to spin a heavier object than a lighter one. Some other considerations- once in motion, the heavier object will have a tendancy to spin longer than a lighter one, although the lighter object will spin more easily... which are Lee's concerns. Now the question of how much weight difference will make a difference IS debatable. IMO, Dropping 2 or more pounds PER WHEEL IS significant, although may never be noticed by the driver!!! The theory of light rims is MOST noticable on a superbike. Rotational mass, the weight of an obect while rotating, becomes very obvious in this realm. It has a profound effect on speed (acceleration/deceleration) and handling (flickability). These same principals apply to a cager (4-wheeled vehicle), although the net product may not be as noticable.

Generally speaking, this explains why high-performance rims tend to be made from strong, lightweight materials (aluminum, titanium, magnesium <-- old days, etc...). So, lighter = faster... although lighter also typically means 'thinner'- therefore potholes can more easily ruin!

The same argument can also be made for an aluminum, or carbon fiber, DRIVESHAFT (rear-wheel drive vehicles)!!! Since it rotates to transfer power (like a wheel to the pavement), it too can benifit from less rotational mass- at the sacrifice of durability.

Quick Reply: How much do the wheels weigh?