Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Installing a Sunroof & Roof Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Rest In Peace

Time to visit a u pull it type junk yard.

I think the HHR's roof is just bolted/gasketed/glued in place.

When I had gutted out my interior to soundproof my Panel, I noticed the roofs perimiter has about 8-10 bolys or nuts on threaded studs (been awhile so I forget which now)

Pic with my headliner out pre soundproofing installed, you can see some larger openings by the cross bracing, you can see the studs for 10mm nuts and others are 10mm bolts I believe. I forget all the Details now.

Name:  69b9a091.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  61586d4b.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  a5ca4d87.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  72.1 KB

But I remember looking it over closely at the time and saying to myself, hell I could Add a sunroof from a junkyard HHR, If I ever wanted to add one.

Get the headliner the whole roof unbolted and grab all the wiring harness you can.

I bet the harness is just a plug in at some point, like adding the Leather seats, the Harness is there once plugged in you just have the Dealer turn the heated seats ON.

Have to cut the glue at the cross braces, hacksaw blade or heavy fishing line. And around the perimeter.

Not sure if the windshield would have to come out but it may if the roof has a lip that goes under it and the rear hatch would have to be removed.

But I think the whole roof is just bolted/glued on. Worth a try to find out for sure.

Look around here>

http://www.newgmparts.com/parts/2010...NTERIOR%20TRIM

If you found a matching color, I believe you could Carefully replace the roof and not even have to do any repainting.

If I get some time I will check my HHR GM Manuals and see if I can find out more info.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 AM

Cool electric moonroof...

I have a sunroof/moonroof electric & removable type unit from Southgate Sunroofs best in the bizz never ever had a problem no leaks or problems since i had it installed 3 years ago! Used them on all my show cars.
Push the button flips up & slides back has 4 diffferent settings.
jeff
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM

This thread has me asking the question "what is the difference on a sunroof and moonroof?" When I am checking prices on KBB.com they have a choice of either.
What is the one the factory installs called?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 PM

A sunroof is opaque (usually flush metal with the body color on the outside). This roof can either tilt open to vent, slide open to let in light, or both. It is called a sunroof because the opacity prevents the sun from heating up the vehicle. These have existed for quite some time.

In the 1970s, Ford introduced a glass sunroof that they named the Moonroof (actually, the American Sunroof Company, the company that made all domestic sunroofs and now known as American Specialty Cars invented it, but Ford was the first to install it). So to answer the question, a moonroof is a sunroof made of glass.
The problem is, the distinction is becoming lost as more and more people use it incorrectly. Most people today just consider any sort of hole in the roof a sunroof. But in the strictest sense, sunroof=metal, moonroof=glass.

:)

Originally Posted by esmarkey
This thread has me asking the question "what is the difference on a sunroof and moonroof?" When I am checking prices on KBB.com they have a choice of either.
What is the one the factory installs called?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by celblazer
A sunroof is opaque (usually flush metal with the body color on the outside). This roof can either tilt open to vent, slide open to let in light, or both. It is called a sunroof because the opacity prevents the sun from heating up the vehicle. These have existed for quite some time.

In the 1970s, Ford introduced a glass sunroof that they named the Moonroof (actually, the American Sunroof Company, the company that made all domestic sunroofs and now known as American Specialty Cars invented it, but Ford was the first to install it). So to answer the question, a moonroof is a sunroof made of glass.
The problem is, the distinction is becoming lost as more and more people use it incorrectly. Most people today just consider any sort of hole in the roof a sunroof. But in the strictest sense, sunroof=metal, moonroof=glass.

:)
Thanks celblazer, that's pretty straight forward. So we have Moonroofs unless it is aftermarket, and then it could be either.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Yes it's a moonroof, but that's not what Chevrolet calls it.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM

OK, now I am confused.
In Kelly Blue Book it looks like we need to check Sliding Sunroof, NOT Moonroof, even though that is what it is??

These are the choices, which is correct?

Roof and Glass
Sun Roof (Flip-Up)
Sun Roof (Sliding)
Moon Roof
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

It flips up and slides. Check both of them.

Or, the one that gives your car more value.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM

Yes there are shops that install moonroofs or sunroofs same meaning I already called our minds and it runs approximately $500 and up
Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Ill trade you cars, you can have mine with the sunroof! I don't know how much a whole new chop will cost you, but iI'm pricing out new seals and running at $600+! Darn thing leaks like a sieve, once there was so much water it blew a bunch of fuses and relays, cost $700 to fix! Speaking of, anybody know where I can get a good deal on sunroof parts? I'm not finding much on the internet, prices seem ridiculously hi.

Quick Reply: Installing a Sunroof & Roof Rack?