Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Installing a Sunroof & Roof Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Arrow Installing a Sunroof & Roof Rack?

I searched for this topic and couldn't find anything, I apologize if this has already been covered, or should be in a different forum.

I want a sunroof on my HHR. Are there such places that will put sunroofs in? Generally how much does this cost, if it is possible? Also, there are ridges on the top of my car, would this impede the installation of a Sunroof and a roof rack? Do HHR's look stupid with roof racks? I can't picture it, but I figured it'd be handy when going camping, or if I need to haul a giant mattress home (hey you never know, right?).

Thanks in advance for the answer to any of these questions.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I can't speak on adding the sunroof, only to say that it would probably have to be an aftermarket sunroof to be cost effective...
as far as the roof rack goes, they are a factory ooption and YES you can easily add one. there have been several posts on eBay selling them or you can get the components through GM direct or your dealer. It is a rather simple installation
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Cool

Ask your dealer, or any large dealership. They should have an outside accessory company that doe's stuff like electric sunroof's, leather seat's and heated seat's even. (Sunroof will probably run over $1000.00).......As for the roof rack. I got the "side rails" new off E-bay for about $130.00 (took awhile to get that deal) and installed them myself. WATCH BUYING USED, they won't come with the hardware and instructions. The mounting hardware for a "add on" side rail install is different then a side rail set installed at the factory. So if you buy a set off a wrecked HHR there are parts that can not be removed and reused. So you would have to buy replacements from a GM parts department, tough to get......The new install was not hard to do, took about one hour. Imtimidating drilling holes in the roof of your HHR, but the GM kit I bought had very good step by step instructions. (even the right size drill bit) You could allways take it to a body shop, back to your dealer or even a good stereo/customizing shop. Any of these shops can install for you. (Be sure to check around because prices do vary)....The expensive part is the "crossrails" to complete the roof rack. $250.00 average price on E-bay. I just kept checking on E-bay till I found a set of new one's for $175.(again, took a while)...These you could buy used, and there was a member selling a set in the classified forum. But there is that chance that all the hardware won't be there, and they have to be "installed" on your rails with a allen head screw. This is a security feature so someone can't just walk up and take them......Good luck shopping....Ohno (Rick)
Name:  PixofHHRaltered015-1.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  54.7 KB
P.S. You can see the side rails and the cross rails better in this picture.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Oh hey that put an idea in my head to just walk up and take someone's. JK... lol. Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Founding Member

I wouldn't add a sunroof. It will never be right!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM

If you absolutely need a sunroof, don't use anything but Inalfa.

You may have to go through them to find a competant installer.

http://inalfaroofsystems.com/
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 AM

The problem with aftermarket sunroofs is that they are installed totally different than factory units.

The factory actually "rolls" the roof sheet metal down into a welded reinforcement box where the sunroof goes. The factory sunroof doesn't seal watertight around the roof opening. Water does get around the sunroof opening, but then goes to a gutter system to drains that drain the water under the car.

Aftermarket sunroofs pinch the roof sheetmetal (that was cut)between an upper and lower frame with sealant (or a gasket) to keep the water out. The glass itself must seal perfectly against this frame, otherwise ANY water that goes past any seal will end up inside the car.

As an analogy, use a window in your house. When the house was built, the carpenter built a frame around the window to stiffen the opening, then attached the window. Imagine adding a window later by cutting out the drywall and then screwing the window to the drywall only. That's basically what you're doing with most aftermarket sunroofs.

The aftermarket sunroofs will work, but you have to be dilligent about catching and reparing any leaks. The "lifetime warranty" that a lot of sunroof installers offer is really a lifetime promise to fix leaks (at least as long as the installer is around). Also, I have seen installations where the roof sheet metal developed a "waviness" around the cutout. Finally, unless the installer paints or seals the cut edges of the sheet metal, rust will begin at the cut edge and eventually work its way out from under the sunroof frame.

If you want an aftermarket sunroof, get references from others and ask questions of the installer (Do you seal the cut edges, etc.) and keep a sharp eye out for any leaks and get them fixed immediately.

I have had both factory and an aftermarket sunroof on previous cars, so I'm speaking from my experience.

I haven't looked at aftermarket sunroofs in the last 10 years, so if there are any new improved aftermarket models that correct some of these problems, someone please post the info!

Steve
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM

I really want to put a sunroof in my 2008 LT Panel. Back in the 1990s I had sunroofs installed in two cars. Back then you found sunroof installers all over. I was pleased with both of mine. I never had any leaks. Hinge broke one time and the Installers put in a whole new glass at no charge. I think one for an S10 or blazer should fall right in.

Does anyone know of a sunroof installer in Lower Central Michigan? Also I need a left hand running OEM board, any color.

Boydie

Last edited by Blue Beast (aka Boydie); 12-15-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added sentence.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by chevymgr
i wouldn't add a sunroof. It will never be right!
why?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 PM

X2 DO NOT INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET SUNROOF!!!!

We put an aftermarket sunroof in my s10, and we had to cut 2 braces in the roof. Well long story short It leaked horribly, and we were never able to correct it. I will never make that mistake again, you definately need to find a professional installer. Mine wasn't even power, It was a manual sunroof and we still had a ton of problems with it.

Quick Reply: Installing a Sunroof & Roof Rack?