Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Mud Flaps Installed

Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Mud Flaps Installed

I installed some rear mud flap/splash guards over the weekend.
. These were the cheapest HHR rear mud flap I could find. Unfortunately they were not model specific (ad stated for HHR but was actually a 'universal fit'). They came with a bag of self tapping screws that you are supposed to drill out your fenders to fit. I did not want to drill any extra holes in my HHR so I utilized two of the fender well trim panel screw holes to mount mine. As you can see in this pic:
Getting the flaps set at the right height (not hanging too low or set too high) & angled straight was a real test for me on this project. I must've taken them on & off a dozen times to re-drill and/or cut to fit. I'm still not 100% set on the current position
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 AM

They look good to me
Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 PM

I like them. But I do think the left one is not straight....
Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM

It does look like the outer side needs to come down a little bit. But it might also be the angle the picture was taken
Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Picture curved

Originally Posted by txbass06
It does look like the outer side needs to come down a little bit. But it might also be the angle the picture was taken
Angle of picture, trust me. But I've drilled many holes & had all different angles. Until I figured out that I needed something level on the ground to go by. I used a Capri-sun box.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_style
Angle of picture, trust me. But I've drilled many holes & had all different angles. Until I figured out that I needed something level on the ground to go by. I used a Capri-sun box.
Thought so. Capri-sun box? Now thats ingenuity
Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 PM

I just bought an '08 HHR and came across your splash guards. What size are they (W X L) and where did you find them? They look good on your Panel. Are they rubber or Plasticoat? I would have to have them put on at a local garage since I can't bend down that low anymore. Do they stay on pretty good with just two mounting screws? It looks like you tucted them behind the splash panel. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me. The pictures you posted are very informative.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Correct mud flaps

Originally Posted by Dutchman09
I just bought an '08 HHR and came across your splash guards. What size are they (W X L) and where did you find them? They look good on your Panel. Are they rubber or Plasticoat? I would have to have them put on at a local garage since I can't bend down that low anymore. Do they stay on pretty good with just two mounting screws? It looks like you tucted them behind the splash panel. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me. The pictures you posted are very informative.
Thank you Dutchman. I tried two different types of splash guards & only the 2nd set is worth buying (you benefit from my experience haha). I got them on eBay. The good mud flaps have the 'HHR' logo on the rear, none on front. The bad ones are the ones with the gold Chevy bowtie on them. These are 'universal' which means you have to cut & drill them properly to fit (not easy, trust me but maybe that's the style you're looking for & your handy with a drill).
The correct mud flaps are in my thread here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/new-hhr-specific-splash-guards-installed-24880/
The corect mud flaps (GM p/n 88968231) fit like a glove. They have more fasteners holding them in place. There's no cutting, drilling or welding nescessary. You'll love em. Problem? Price! They are selling for $80.00 & up on ebay. I lucked out & found a set with a buy-it-now price of $28.50 (shipping included). I would be ahead if I hadn't bought the wrong splash guards the first time.

Last edited by HHR_style; 11-23-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Look Good, they will do a lot to protect your ride too.. I'd have to black out the gold bow-ties, but that's me..

Anyone price em thru www.GMPartsDirect.com ?

I plugged in that Part # & come up empty ??

Front molded flaps, Genuine GM Part Number: 12499526 $39.31 for the pair + shipping.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Looking good, I have some to put on my SS (actually had them for a few months), just been to lazy to stick them on as I barely drive the SS. I've had the SS since August and it only has 1600 miles on it (SS had 250 miles on it from the dealer).

I bought my GM fitted mud guards on ebay, there is a guy that sells original gm parts on there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mud Flaps Installed