Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Scratch removal

Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 AM

Scratch removal

Has anyone had any experience with any of those miracle scratch removal products. The ones that you rub on and is supposed to make them disappear?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM

how deep? meguiars scratchX is the best I've used. All scratch removal products require elbow grease in good quantity. The way you remove a scratch is not to actually remove it, but to literally sand down the clearcoat enough to either become even with the scratch in a gradual way, or to at least blunt the sharp edges of the scratch well enough to be at least well hidden by your wax or sealant choice. Worst case scratches, you can use ultra fine sandpaper and wet-sand the clearcoat, but then you will still need a scratch/swirl remover to remove the sanding marks, the polish and wax/seal. Any scratch remover that says, "apply, rub off, done" is actually just filling the scratch temporarily.

If it's through the clearcoat, you need to use a true paint repair product which will actually fill the scratch with new color, then clear then you buff it even with the existing clear.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 AM

That's what I figured....They are not big but I see a bit of primer. Keep seeing Billy Mays shilling a product, but he'd sell his mom for a buck. May have to get a touch up done, but will try the Meguiers first.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 AM

If you can truly see primer, then no scratch remover will remove it. You've gone through the clear, color layer, and into the primer. I'm hoping you are just seeing the white feathering that a scratch in the clearcoat usually shows.

If it is into the primer, you can use factory touchup using the pen side to cover the primer, then clear it, and finally wetsand to match and scratchx to polish.

There are some decent paint repair kits that work fairly well, I've used the langka repair kit with pretty good results, but never tried a scratch before.

http://www.langka.com/

good luck
Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 AM

If your fingernail catches the scratch when you rub them across it will not buff out. All that crap billy may advertises is just that crap. Go to auto parts store and buy some 3m rubbing compound and some polish and some 2000 sand paper. LIGHTLY sand the scratch then go to the compound then the polish. That may feather it down where it looks decent. If you can get a hypodermic needle (diabetic) and thin the paint down to fill the syringe. This will give you a thin point of contact to keep from globing paint on with a brush. You can take a razor blade and cut the brush hairs at an angle to give a smaler point of contact too.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Yup, can feel the scratch, I guess I am into the parts store for touch up paint, or maybe get a quote to have it done. Probably a couple of hundred for that.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

tomdent1...recommends the use of 2000 grit sandpaper. I would add one thought to this. Buy wet/dry paper and use water as a lubricant when lightly sanding.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Got the paper already, one of those things that is always around. It is wet/dry. I do a bit of woodworking.