Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Scratch repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Angry Scratch repairs...

I have a 2009 LT in Victory Red, and have a few scratches on it. I have 2 large rock chips in the Hood, and one on the rear door, as well as some smaller scratches on the door possibly from keys. The scratches are only about 2-3 inches in length, but are deep enough that it is beyond the clear coat.

Is there an easy way to take care of these. I have seen articles and how to's for fixing scratches by using rubbing compound and rubbing them out, then polishing them, but haven't tried it for fear of making things worse. I tried swirl and scratch remover and that stuff is a joke. I tried the touchup paint with the ball point applicator and it didn't work well.

I was wondering if I could fill in the scratches with the touch up paint, then use rubbing/polishing compound to smooth it out, then polish and wax it to a shine. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM

I have used Dr. Color Chip in the past:
http://drcolorchip.com/

The custom blend the paint to your vehicle. You dab it into the scratch, road rash, chip, etc. Then you smear it so it overlaps and when dry you use a solution to take off the excess. It is not a miracle cure but is better than most touch up paints.

I had a 2009 Toyota Matrix before my current 2010 HHR and although some will not believe this, the paint on the Toyota was MUCH WORSE than the HHR.

I got my first rock chip in the hood of the HHR and just ordered a bottle.