View Full Version : 2006: Steering Column Rattle

HHRPufnstuf
09-06-2007, 01:46 AM
I purchased a 2006 about a month ago, low mileage and in great shape generally, but I'm experiencing a nasty little steering column rattle of late. It comes on at low speeds while braking, and it seems to be worsening with time (like these things will).

I have done a little looking around the 'net, and this appears to be a common issue with the 2006. Some say that their mechanics could not find the cause upon inspection. Others have said they have been able to resolve the issue with a replacement part.

Gonna take my wagon to the dealer, but I thought I'd see if any of you could educate me as to your own experiences with this issue, and whether you were able to clear it up. As always, many thanks for your anticipated input.

captain howdy
09-06-2007, 05:23 AM
That's not a common problem. :roll: Just because a few people on a couple of websites may have experienced it that doesn't make it a common problem when you look at how many HHRs are sold. If like half of all HHRs sold had the same issue then I would call it a common problem. I would guess it's your brake rotors causing your problem. Most of us will agree that the factory HHR rotors suck and are prone to warp easily. It think mine lasted about 15,000 from brand new before they needed turning and they were warped again by 30,000. I ordered EBC rotors to replace the factory crap rotors but they haven't arrived yet.

hvrod
09-06-2007, 08:03 AM
darn rotors :barf:

HHRPufnstuf
09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
That's not a common problem. :roll: Just because a few people on a couple of websites may have experienced it that doesn't make it a common problem when you look at how many HHRs are sold. If like half of all HHRs sold had the same issue then I would call it a common problem. I would guess it's your brake rotors causing your problem. Most of us will agree that the factory HHR rotors suck and are prone to warp easily. It think mine lasted about 15,000 from brand new before they needed turning and they were warped again by 30,000. I ordered EBC rotors to replace the factory crap rotors but they haven't arrived yet.

Switch to decaf, dude.

stick
09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
:lol: ^^^^:lol:

captain howdy
09-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Decaf sucks!

exptcruiser
09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Have them check the steering column.If it does it also while turning and hitting bumps you might need the steeing column replaced or could be the shaft problem. I've experienced a similiar sounding problem and i have an 07.Half of my steering column was replaced, now the other half is on order.

HHRPufnstuf
09-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Have them check the steering column.If it does it also while turning and hitting bumps you might need the steeing column replaced or could be the shaft problem. I've experienced a similiar sounding problem and i have an 07.Half of my steering column was replaced, now the other half is on order.

Many thanks for the input. The noise occurs while going over mildly rough pavement, as well as when hitting actual bumps or when at low speeds when braking. We're headed to the dealer for some warranty work.

nfboy
09-06-2007, 04:46 PM
There is a TSB on this I believe. Unfortunately we can not access them anymore and I do not have the number. Here is the title:

Steering - Front End Clunk When Turning

I think the fix most people have had is a replaced steering column.

Linepainter
09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I had mine in last week for the same thing they trued my rotors but the problem was still there so they ordered me a new Steering Column under a TSB it gets instaled next week.

exptcruiser
09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Yep i'm going in for a second time. Not sure why they just replaced half and not whole thing. It worked for a while and then it started again. Make sure they check both halves.

Firewatcher
09-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I had a "clunk" in my 2006 last year. Replaced part of the steering shaft per the TSB that was out. Fixed the problem.

Linepainter
09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
OK my HHR is getting a new Steering Column & the dealer call & told me they have to order me a new steering wheeh caused they mesed it up takeing it off .
aint that a *****

exptcruiser
09-11-2007, 06:25 PM
No way !! Just got mine back and they replaced the shaft this time and all is good. Good luck on yours Linepainter.

Linepainter
09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
well I just got it back but i have to take it back the cruise control is not working & the wheel is off center a little

GCarp
09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
How does it drive otherwise?

Linepainter
09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
It drives bettet steering is tighter & smoother
they had 07 swirches in & they didn't work so they put back in the 06 switches

Kingfrog
09-13-2007, 10:53 AM
This is a common issue. Mine is in th shop now for one as well as the shifter. So far all of the places I have read from owners of the same issues

Water in car
Steering column
Shifter
Radio on turn on

I have all but the first (so far) have not seen rain yet,
Have the car 2 weeks LOL
Im realizing why the prev owner may have traded it after 13 months LOL
Cant complain for$14k though

1BADHHR
09-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I have the same problem with my 06 and have had the steering column replaced 2 times with no results. Mine has been in the shop 9 times to try to fix the problem and GM finally said that they would not touch it any more. Now I have a Lemon Law filed and my attorney said it is a problem that GM has been experiencing nation wide. Good luck..

ymerej_mortsdnil
11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I am currently experiencing this rattle from around the steering column, looks like I will need to get this looked at one of these days.:(

coolsurf
11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I just took mine in for thr same problem. They ordered a new column and should install it next week. I hope they do a good job of getting everything back in the correct place and working.

coolsurf
12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Got mine back and still have the same problem. Have had it back twice and they cant fix or won't spend the time to fix it. made a complante with GM customer service and also the BBB. The dealership told me to try another dealership. They had other on there lot that also made the same noise, so they said it normal, even though it didn't do it when new. They have replaced part of the shaft from the TSP, but not the hole thing. I'm going to try another dealership with help from GM customer service if they will. Hope it goes away!!!!!!!!

hhrhouston
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I just took mine in for thr same problem. They ordered a new column and should install it next week. I hope they do a good job of getting everything back in the correct place and working.

The dealer has done the Intermitent Shaft twice and just put in the 2nd column last week :( seems it will never go away. Plus I have alignment issues.

coolsurf
12-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Hhrhouston, Sorry To Heat That. I Contacted The Gm Customer Service Rep That Handling My Complant And Gave Them The Tsp Number And Fax A Copy Of The Alldata Nfo To Them. He Should Get Back To Me On Friday. It Doesn't Say Much About Gm Whan The Customer Has To Do The Resurch On The Tsb. Will Let You Know How It Turns Out.

Snoopy
12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Hhrhouston, Sorry To Heat That. I Contacted The Gm Customer Service Rep That Handling My Complant And Gave Them The Tsp Number And Fax A Copy Of The Alldata Nfo To Them. He Should Get Back To Me On Friday. It Doesn't Say Much About Gm Whan The Customer Has To Do The Resurch On The Tsb. Will Let You Know How It Turns Out.

I agree that it doesn't say much....but you do understand you are NOT talking to GM. You are talking to a representative who is sub-contracted (out side company) by GM for that position. They know little about vehicles and are generally PR people....unfortunately.:eek: :red:

Actually the "sick" thing about this, is the need to supply your dealer with the info. They should, and do, have it via their dealer network system. To bad the're to lazy to use it.:(

Oh, as a favor...could you remove the caps on every word. That makes it very difficult to read.

1BADHHR
01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I just wanted to let you know that I made a complaint with GM about the poor service at my dealer and GM customer service rep. kept in contact with me but in the long run it did no good. I finally went to a Lemon Law attorney and was informed that the steering column problem is a very common problem nation wide with the HHR. To sum it up, I received a settlement check from GM on my car and now it is my problem but GM has no idea how to fix this problem. I had my car at 2 different dealerships and still could not get the problem fixed. Good luck with yours.

kuzzins
01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I have a 2006 that had the same problem and the dealer had to change the steering column. Its like a new HHR after that but it seems like it might be doing it again? Never buy a 1st yr vehicle!

coolsurf
01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm taking mine in this week to another dealership and hope that they will take the time to look at it. The GM customer service rep. is going to contact the dealership and let them know the problems I'm having ( don't know if that good or bad). I've talked to the service writer and told him the problem and he also agrees that the car should not rattle or clunk, and it might be in the rack or steering column. What a big pain!!!!!!! What we have to go through to keep the car in good running condiction. So much for factory warrenty!

coolsurf
01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
After a lot of visits to the dealership it steering column clunk/rattle is gone. They replaced both the intermediate shaft and the steerig column. They're still fine tuning the turn signal cancelling problem, but just need a new turn signal assy. GM offered me an extra 48 month and 78k extended warranty and pay will pay one month of my car loan. Now my warranty will be good for 102k and 4 more years. The warranty has $0 deductable.
I hope that I now won't any more problems!!!

CruzHHR
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Just got my 2006 HHR back from dealership today. Had a rattle sound by column and the intermediate shaft was replaced under warranty. Made absolutely no difference. Have to go back. Also had my rotors turned again making the second time at 20,000 miles. Has anyone got the steering issue fixed and is it worth having the column replaced with all the issues a lot of you seem to have afterwards.

pitbull76
04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Just got my 2006 HHR back from dealership today. Had a rattle sound by column and the intermediate shaft was replaced under warranty. Made absolutely no difference. Have to go back. Also had my rotors turned again making the second time at 20,000 miles. Has anyone got the steering issue fixed and is it worth having the column replaced with all the issues a lot of you seem to have afterwards.

I've had it fixed. A new column fixed it. You're damn right it's worth getting it fixed. I did have to take it back once after the repair so the turn signals would cancel properly, but that was a quick fix.

NikiPowPez
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Is this something that is only common in the 06? I have an 07 and I've noticed occassionally when I turn there is a weird clunk noise as the wheels straighten out. It doesn't happen all the time, but its noticible when it does. I'm already planning on taking it in to the dealership next week for an oil change, have the rotors checked and the waterlogged bowties replaced. Maybe I need to have them look at that too.

CruzHHR
04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Pitbull 76. Did you have both the interm. shaft and steering column replaced?
Still No rattle?

pitbull76
04-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Pitbull 76. Did you have both the interm. shaft and steering column replaced?
Still No rattle?

Just the steering column based on the repair order I got back. The noise is gone completely, and hasn't returned.

Bill Cude
04-12-2008, 10:29 PM

ME TOO !!!!!!!!!

CruzHHR
04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Had the column replaced on the second visit and the rattle is gone. Thanks for all the info

imagepower
04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Same issue and my steering column was replaced

Linepainter
04-30-2008, 04:24 PM
mine goes back in for the third time on Monday I hope they fix it

monster5601
04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
The dealer replaced my steering column, the service ticket shows a part number of 15928613. He told me the half shaft replace doesn't fix the problem.

Cardwiz428
05-02-2008, 12:09 AM
This man is absolutely correct (by the way nice color car). I just had my steering column replaced (warranty work) and its like driving a whole new car. The steering is tight and much quieter. What goes bad on the sterring column anyway?

Linepainter
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Well they replaced my seering collem again hoplfuelly this fixes it

ChevyMgr
05-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Well they replaced my seering collem again hoplfuelly this fixes it

If it was an audible rattle, steering column replacement should fix. If it is more of a knocking and can be felt in the floor board plus can be felt in the steering wheel (even when stopped and turning back and forth) it is the intermediate shaft.

What goes bad on the sterring column anyway?

Can't tell you for sure what fails since we don't disassemble them, but it is inside the column, most likely the shaft or it's casing, although it could be the bearing in it.

Just-Ron
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I have the same problem with my '06, the dealer called GM and they said replace the steering shaft (I get the shaft tomorrow...hummmm). There is a TSB on the problem, just let them know your not happy and they will fix it.....it worked for me.

Linepainter
05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
well it's back but has to go back in on Monday to strighten the steering wheel
LEMON LAW

ChevyMgr
05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
well it's back but has to go back in on Monday to strighten the steering wheel
LEMON LAW

So I assume they replaced the column then? Don't know why the customer has to be the one to figure out the steering is off center. Geeeesh!

Linepainter
05-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Thats what happens when they rush the job

clancy
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a 06 HHR that I took in for safety recall and hed them look into the rattle in my front end. They said the steering column needs to be replaced and 961.00 repair. I was going to trade the damn thing but figure I better keep it.

Does anyone have the TSB #

jx3
06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I have a 06 HHR that I took in for safety recall and hed them look into the rattle in my front end. They said the steering column needs to be replaced and 961.00 repair. I was going to trade the damn thing but figure I better keep it.

Does anyone have the TSB #

TSB #04-03-08-006B

How far out of warranty are you. If not too far, then the dealer may be willing to work some kind of discount for you.

Wodinator
06-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Well, this thread explains the noise I am getting from Chops....taking him in tomorrow for an oil change. going to look up the TSB and wave it in their face to make sure they fix it under warranty....

clancy
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Thank you for the response. I am 20,000 miles out of warranty. I doubt this place is going to do anything. BUt at least I know there is a probable fix for it.

jx3
06-25-2008, 06:56 AM
taking him in tomorrow for an oil change. going to look up the TSB and wave it in their face to make sure they fix it under warranty....

Wrong attitude to go in with, unless you've taken Chops in for this before.:roll:
Just have it handy and when the service rep says he doesn't have a clue, just show him the printout.

vschriver
06-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Mine was fixed free but after a month I'm hearing a cluncking sound from the steering...I'm bringing it in again to find out what that is and I'm sure it is the same issue.

Wodinator
06-26-2008, 02:29 AM
I love my dealership!

When I mentioned the clunk, the service guy immediatley knew what I was getting at. Needless to say, Chops is getting a new steering rack. Part was ordered today.

jx3
06-26-2008, 08:07 AM
The part that was replaced on Dory was #25834100 ......... "shaft kit".

I hope that's not some kind of code for..... "yeah right, we fixed it"!!:D

andoll83
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I had my steering column replaced a couple months ago, and the clunk is back, namely pulling into the driveway when the weather is colder. What could it be?

Linepainter
11-02-2008, 09:11 PM
It might be the stearing shaft I had mine replaced 3 times

Old Ray
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I had my steering column replaced a couple months ago, and the clunk is back, namely pulling into the driveway when the weather is colder. What could it be?

Steering rack! :(

Bill Cude
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, we finally got the struts installed today at the dealer, I still hear a small rattle! But , that's it i'm done messing with it, something about having an frontend alignment done three times in one year is a bit too much.....:mad:

Linepainter
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
i guess it's time to call Lemon Law

wolfmanbob
01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi All!!!
I have had the column and shaft replaced as well as the rack... Still have the noise back after 3 weeks. I think the rack has been replaced 1x, the oters 3x.
Every time I go back THEY can't hear the noise untill I drive with them. I even had GM involved, seems as if no help. I love my HHR! I really don't want to trade it off! It's still new for an '06 (22kmiles)
Any suggestions?:confused:

urbexHHR
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Great, so I noticed mine makes a clunk now whenever I go over a bump... It probably did that before, but my radio was usually on quite loud, so I never noticed it.

Anyways, I should probably go into the dealer to see about getting it fixed, but I just bought it last week, and was just in last week to get the shift control assembly replaced, so I don't want to look too fussy...so I think I may wait a bit to take it in...

wolfmanbob
03-28-2009, 08:31 PM
I really don't think you should wait. The warranty is 3yr/36k and you are almost there. I just had mine back in (again), and they need to order another column! I wish this would just fix the problems....
I'll keep you posted

urbexHHR
03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh, ha ha..I took it in and had it fixed a long time ago!

Besides, my warranty is extended because it was GM certified used. I have 4 years 48,000 miles.

urbexHHR
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Great... I noticed a few days ago I thought I heard the same clunk noise occasionally on bigger bumps... Turned the radio off so I could hear better, but nothing.

Well today I was driving, and I can notice it almost as good as before, the "clunk" is back....

After a month, looks like I'll have to take it in to get looked at a second time...

I'm sure it's nothing major...at least it better not be. I'm going to Grand Rapids this weekend (300 miles or so total), so nothing better break! :lol: I'm sure nothing is dangerously bad.

Still makes me mad though... This will be the 3rd time I've had the car in since I've owned it...

prod
04-02-2009, 02:29 PM
If you read up a bit more you will find it is quite possible to get a bad steering column again. I have had three, so far this one seems good. The technician said he has had to do some 2 or 3 times before he gets a good one.
Also, there is an issue with bad sway bar end links that makes a similar noise. You need to listen carefully with your head to either side of the steering wheel when driving slowly over uneven pavement to isolate the noise. Not easy to do.

urbexHHR
04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, my invoice dated 2/26/09 says that the front sway bar links were loose, and both were replaced...

It did take care of the problem until now...

wolfmanbob
04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
:wtf:So, got it back again, and the noise was gone for 3 weeks. Dealer also replaced leaking left side strut and shock, and #1 fuel injector (mil was on)
Noise is back again, is service date 4/8/06. I know that there is gonna be a fight!:wtf:

urbexHHR
04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I took mine in today for 5+ hours, and they finally returned it to me. Said they have to order some parts, but didn't say what. I have to take it in sometime maybe Wednesday they thought, but I'm going to be pretty busy with getting ready for my vacation...

We'll see what they replace this time, and if it works.

HHR_SS_QC
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I purchased a 2006 about a month ago, low mileage and in great shape generally, but I'm experiencing a nasty little steering column rattle of late. It comes on at low speeds while braking, and it seems to be worsening with time (like these things will).

I have done a little looking around the 'net, and this appears to be a common issue with the 2006. Some say that their mechanics could not find the cause upon inspection. Others have said they have been able to resolve the issue with a replacement part.

Gonna take my wagon to the dealer, but I thought I'd see if any of you could educate me as to your own experiences with this issue, and whether you were able to clear it up. As always, many thanks for your anticipated input.

Hi;

I had a very annoying steering rattle in my 2007 Cobalt LT. They replaced several parts, but the rattle was still there. In the end, they replaced the electric steering module, under the dash, and this cured the problem. It was done under warranty. The gearbox shaft end play of the failed module was out of tolerance. They tried to re-lubricate the shaft by putting new grease on it, but it didn't help. I have been told that many of these electric steering motors fail before 25 000 miles. This electric steering module is made in japan.

Take a look at the bottom of the following article.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/steering_power_electric.htm

tlipcsik
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Had the same issue with my 2008. Dealer ended up replacing intemediate shaft, steering column and clockspring. Seems to have done the trick. It all happened about 11,000 miles. There is a bulleting that is about 10 pages long, but most of the issue is identifying the problem. Good luck.:thumb:

TomsHHR
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I had a rattle, we found a sway arm link bad last week on the driver side.

urbexHHR
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I had a rattle, we found a sway arm link bad last week on the driver side.

Yeah, that's what they replaced on mine last month... Who knows...

spudly
04-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm on the steering rattle happy-happy joy-joy merry-go-round now as well.

I took it in about a month after I bought my HHR, they performed the TSB. Took it home and two days later the rattle was back.

Took it back in, they replaced the sway-bar end links. This intensified the rattling.

Back in it went, this time they replaced the strut shields and bumpers. Rattle is still there.

I tried talking to the service person that maybe the shaft from the TSB replacement was bad, but they didn't want to hear it. It will be interesting to see what gets replaced this time though.

I've also been fighting with the seat squeak, they have a new seat on order for me now. I'll update once the seat is in since I'll just drive it until then. I'm tired of not having my car.

vschriver
04-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm on the steering rattle happy-happy joy-joy merry-go-round now as well.

I took it in about a month after I bought my HHR, they performed the TSB. Took it home and two days later the rattle was back.

Took it back in, they replaced the sway-bar end links. This intensified the rattling.

Back in it went, this time they replaced the strut shields and bumpers. Rattle is still there.

I tried talking to the service person that maybe the shaft from the TSB replacement was bad, but they didn't want to hear it. It will be interesting to see what gets replaced this time though.

I've also been fighting with the seat squeak, they have a new seat on order for me now. I'll update once the seat is in since I'll just drive it until then. I'm tired of not having my car.

You sure your not from my location with my service department who tells me they fixed the stuff but 2 weeks later everything starts up again.

urbexHHR
04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, my parents took the HHR in to the dealer while I was on my way back from Denver, and it was back in time for them to use it to pick me up!

Looks like the dealer replaced both front struts because either one or both were leaking. They lubed the hood latch, and re-adjusted the hood mounts as well... Don't know why... I did notice the hood latch lube the other day... So far it seems fixed...hopefully that'll take care of it!

spudly
05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Looks like mine is going to end up going back to GM as a lemon.

Mine has been in the shop more than about 75% of the time I've had it. They've replaced everything in the steering; rack and pinion, intermediate shaft, struts, struts boots, strut isolators, steering column, sway bar bushings and the rattle is still there.

The service writer is now saying that it's "a normal operating noise" since they have replaced everything. I've got two 4X4's, a lifted Cherokee on 33's and a '71 K20 Chevy, and niether of them have a rattle like I have in the HHR. So it looks like I'll be sending this one back. It's a shame because we really liked the look and color combination of ours.

vschriver
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Looks like mine is going to end up going back to GM as a lemon.

Mine has been in the shop more than about 75% of the time I've had it. They've replaced everything in the steering; rack and pinion, intermediate shaft, struts, struts boots, strut isolators, steering column, sway bar bushings and the rattle is still there.

The service writer is now saying that it's "a normal operating noise" since they have replaced everything. I've got two 4X4's, a lifted Cherokee on 33's and a '71 K20 Chevy, and niether of them have a rattle like I have in the HHR. So it looks like I'll be sending this one back. It's a shame because we really liked the look and color combination of ours.
Let me know how that turns out as far as the "lemon" goes since I'm going to try as well. My rattles so much they can not say it is normal. I go over dirt roads and you would think the steering wheel was going to fall off.

philliesred
05-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I had my front shocks changed the first time I brought it in for annual inspection. I bought mine used with 65000 on it. So taking it to the dealer was necessary for my consience. The next day I had the problem, I explained that if you don't use the proper torque, the rotors warp when you overtighten the wheels. The tech took a test drive, replaced the rotors and I haven't had a problem since my inspection in March.

dualactionhotrod
05-24-2009, 02:38 PM
i had that problem also the replaced the lower half of the column and a month later they had to do the whole thing. the ebc brakes are great, a little noisy but work great had them for about a year now

Laco
05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Don't have that rattle, but I do have a very intermittant squeek when turning the wheel slowly. It kind of sounds like rubber on plastic. Doesn't do it when cold, doesn't do it when really hot, just in that mid-range temp, and then only sometimes.

ChevyM84
05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
i have the rattle on my 06 spring edition.....not bothering to take it in cause gm has always had trouble with steering colums and its out of warranty. when goin down dirt roads its terrible.....rotors are warped.....but these are small problems. the hhr is a great car..

Redline Toys
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
i have the rattle on my 06 spring edition.....not bothering to take it in cause gm has always had trouble with steering colums and its out of warranty. when goin down dirt roads its terrible.....rotors are warped.....but these are small problems. the hhr is a great car..

Funny stuff...

I bought mine last June because I was tired of working on my 53,000 mile Chevy Suburban. Well, I guess I should have bought Japanese or German, because there has been literally something wrong with this new Chevy EVERY month (11 problems and 11 months...)

This month at 9,000 miles the HHR is now clunking and banging at every slow turn and bump in the road and getting worse.

The funniest thing is that I am meticulously CAREFUL with this vehicle. I nearly stop for railroad tracks. I park in the middle of nowhere to avoid dings. I drive it very carefully to hopefully extend the life. Doesn't seem to matter...

I have owned dozens and dozens of GM cars and trucks, but I will NEVER EVER buy another GM automobile after this one...

vschriver
06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Funny stuff...

I bought mine last June because I was tired of working on my 53,000 mile Chevy Suburban. Well, I guess I should have bought Japanese or German, because there has been literally something wrong with this new Chevy EVERY month (11 problems and 11 months...)

This month at 9,000 miles the HHR is now clunking and banging at every slow turn and bump in the road and getting worse.

The funniest thing is that I am meticulously CAREFUL with this vehicle. I nearly stop for railroad tracks. I park in the middle of nowhere to avoid dings. I drive it very carefully to hopefully extend the life. Doesn't seem to matter...

I have owned dozens and dozens of GM cars and trucks, but I will NEVER EVER buy another GM automobile after this one...

I agree with you on the "never buy another GM". Mine is in the shop today after filing the "one last fix" for my $$$ back because mine has been in the shop more than it should for a 2007 with under 11,000 miles and one of them is that clunking sound in the front of my vehicle.

wrusprod
06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
2006 with 68,000. I have had this rattle,clunking noise for awhile. I don't feel it in the steering wheel. not really that noticeable at higher speeds. but speeds from 0-45 range you hear it. slower more noticeable,thats probably why I can hear it more in this range.
took it to the shop and with the car up on the hoist, all the steering,suspension look/feel tight.
I had some leaking struts so I had hoped it was that. replaced the struts and the noise is still there.
I noticed that if i stand on the running board by the driver door and rock the car good, you can hear the noise. but if i push on the front of the car it didn't do it.
we next put it up a stand with the wheels under load. my buddy pulled on the end links and that was it.

so replacing the swaybar endlink did the job for my situation. hope this info helps someone else.

wolfmanbob
06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Ok... I think the test period is up, and so far, so good. Another new column (4) and rack (2), adjusted and lubed rear hatch, (never heard that over the front noise) Won't replace leaking struts (normal seepage) that drip on to the ground. But my noise has not returned. The last trip, they took apart the dash to find that the HVAC vent was routed wrong, and was causing a stress/vibration. They said they see a lot of that! Oh well, 15 trips in 3 years to fix the same problem. Think Government Motors will be better?

Redline Toys
07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
My front end noise was solved today. It sounded like the entire front end was going to fall out of my HHR. The warranty took care of two new stabilizer link pins and the noise is gone.

Even if you do not have your warranty any longer, this should be an inexpensive fix if this is in fact your particular problem.

Hope this helps someone else.