Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Leaking Front Struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM

Leaking Front Struts

Took the HHR in for an oil change today and I was told I have a leaking front strut. Its an 06 with about 47,000 miles. I know all driving conditions are different, but does this sound like a comon issue.

Also how soon do I need to fix this, can I wait a couple of weeks?

I was given a price of about 480.00 plus front end allignment??

Any thoughts
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM

I lowered mine a few weeks ago and when I changed the springs on the front struts I noticed that they were a little wet, they weren’t leaking just seeping.
Mine also has about 48,000 miles.
I wiped off the struts, and put everything back together, I’ll check them once in a while to see if the seeping becomes leaking and then I’ll replace them myself.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 PM

My right front strut started to leak at right around 45K miles. ran it that way for just over a month and then replaced both front stuts. Don't try replacing just one strut, always change them in pairs so the front end handles properly.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Mine were replaced this past summer, just before my basic warrantee (60K km) expired. One of them had been leaking for a while.

Yves
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Technical Moderator

I happened to notice mine were leaking at around 50K. Replacing them mostly solved the brake bouncing that I was experiencing. BTW, I did the job myself it was not difficult and saved about $200. Should not need wheel alignment, because the only adjustment that can be made is the toe-in, it may need aligning anyway, but not because the struts are replaced.

Last edited by donbrew; 09-18-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM

I needed to replace my front struts at 55K. I took out a pothole (crater) at 60 mph . The engine shut down (not a good feeling) but I coasted to the side of the road and braked. It restarted so I was on my way (not so the other 6-7 vehicles by the side of the road). 3-4 weeks later I had my snows removed - verdict, bent, leaking strut. I had no handling problems in the interim and didn't even know anything was wrong (but asked my mechanic to look). My bill was about $500 + the alignment.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:19 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by bluehhrjay
Took the HHR in for an oil change today and I was told I have a leaking front strut. Its an 06 with about 47,000 miles. I know all driving conditions are different, but does this sound like a comon issue.

Also how soon do I need to fix this, can I wait a couple of weeks?

I was given a price of about 480.00 plus front end allignment??

Any thoughts
I don't know how much you trust your oil change place, but they have long been notorious for suggesting unnecessary repairs.

As one anecdotal example, my wife stopped in and had her oil changed at a national chain oil and lube place a few months ago. They showed her that her transmission fluid was low on the dipstick. I've given her a few tours under the hood, and so she asked them to stick the dipstick back into the tube and show her again. This time it came out showing that it was right on the fill line. Strange... it must have magically added a quart in anticipation. They also told her that the air filter needed replacing. 1) it's a K&N lifetime filter (with "don't replace me" sticker in the airbox for all service people to see), and 2) I had actually cleaned and reoiled it the weekend before. She won't be visiting that place again... and hopefully she'll be more patient with my schedule and just let me change the oil myself.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Thumbs down

Big (chain) muffler shop used to teach the employees how to squirt oil on the shocks. Then show the auto-owner the (falsely) leaking shocks..

That was just one of the con jobs they were pulling...Not sure all of the shops did this, but this branch sure did !!!!!

Don't want to mention the name, but rhymes with "itis" ......

Best to do or learn as much as one can about yer ride..
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by XXL
I don't know how much you trust your oil change place, but they have long been notorious for suggesting unnecessary repairs.
Yep, that happens.

A few years ago a friend's wife took their minivan to one of those places and they said the rear shocks were leaking. She told them not to do any repairs until she talked to her husband. He doesn't know anything about cars so he called me to take a look. The shocks were not only not leaking, but there wasn't even any seepage of oil on them. They were completely dry.

Get a second opinion or check it yourself before spending $$.

Steve
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM

Smile Same Problem in 2007 HHR LT with 67,xxx miles

I just replaced both front struts. My drivers side strut was completely out of fluid and the other one was well on its way. Replaced with Monroe Senso-Trac and also replaced the front stabalizer link bars on both sides with Moogs. Much better ride and it corrected the clanking I heard under the drivers side floorboard.

Quick Reply: Leaking Front Struts