View Full Version : temp. gauge stops working

nascarguy3fan
07-10-2006, 05:23 PM
2 times now the temp. gauge stopped working, so no air cond. then all of a sudden it starts working agian. in the digital display it just shows dashes no temp either! whats up?

txsman2930
07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Never heard or seen that before. I would take it to the shop as soon as possible before the problem gets any worse.

cj krause
07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
2 times now the temp. gauge stopped working, so no air cond. then all of a sudden it starts working agian. in the digital display it just shows dashes no temp either! whats up?
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too

GDZHHR
07-10-2006, 06:15 PM
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too

I think he may mean the coolant temp. I could be wrong, but that would affect the a/c wouldn't it?

nascarguy3fan
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
thanks ill try to look for a loose connection and the a.c. works great when theres a temp reading thanks agian for letting me know where to look

TX-HHR
07-10-2006, 08:25 PM
thanks ill try to look for a loose connection and the a.c. works great when theres a temp reading thanks agian for letting me know where to look

CJs the man, he seems to have an answer for everything on these cars. :bow:

john 11
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
CJ or anyone else that has some information about coolant temperatures.

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks

captain howdy
07-10-2006, 09:38 PM

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks

I have the 2.4 also. My HHR usually runs at 190 - 192 but I have seen it as high as 212 while sitting in a trafic jam on a hot humid day.

TX-HHR
07-10-2006, 10:41 PM

I've had some overheating problems, but when everthings working well 192-202 seems to be normal and only slightly higher in stop-go traffic. Besides seeing higher temps on the guages another real clue for me that the car is getting too hot is when the electric fan has stayed on after the car is shut off. Hope that helps. :thumb:

jx3
07-11-2006, 04:40 AM

The norm for my HHR is 192-196. On a few occasions it has gone as high as 202.

dbarberaz
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Well I can tell you after work last night about 5:45 I got in and it said outside temp was about 122. Yes it was sitting outside all day. As I drove on the freeway the outside temp dropped to about 112. The coolant temp was reading about 212 about half the way home about a 40 mile drive. It soon cooled down to about 200. The gauge itself did not go over half way. Everything seemed to cool down and work just fine, other than the outside temp was over 100 last NIGHT yes at NIGHT :lol:

john 11
07-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Thank You to everyone who has replied. I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days to see if part of the rise in coolant temperature was due to the extra load and mountains in West Virginia. We don't have a lot of hills in Charlotte but it is supposed to be hot here the next few days. Thanks Again :smile:

TxSkyPilot
07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Keep a close eye on it. I had a faulty thermostat at 300 miles that caused engine damage and resulted in a new engine. There have been others with thermostat problems.

JT's HHR
07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I was having the same problem. Took the HHR to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat. No problems since.
If you can't get to the dealer right away and need cold air, disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that will reset everything for awhile, the temp guage will work again along with the AC

cj krause
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
i added Water Wetter to the system before i went on vacation in the mountains. fully loaded and ran it hard and never got over 202.

i tried to find Purple Ice and never could find it for sale anywhere.

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/images/prpiceimg.jpg

Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive for both gasoline and diesel engines. It is formulated to reduce the surface tension of the coolant, which improves heat transfer through the cooling system while providing additional protection against rust, corrosion and erosion.

Reduces Coolant Temperatures

Extensive testing confirms Purple Ice reduces coolant temperatures better than comparable products while providing extra corrosion protection. For example, the average operating temperature of a 350 c.i.d. V8 engine (equipped with 160 thermostat) when dyno-tested with different coolants are:

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/images/prpicegrph.jpg

A.
Standard mix of water and glycol (antifreeze)
228 F

B.
50 / 50 water / glycol mix with Purple Ice™ added
222 F

C.
Straight water (no corrosion protection)
220 F

D.
Water with Purple Ice™ added
200 F

Recommended Treat Rate
For use with antifreeze -- 1 oz. / quart of cooling system capacity
For straight water applications -- 1.5 oz. / quart of cooling system capacity
Note: Minimum of 20 percent antifreeze recommended in street driven vehicles.

c-h2oman
07-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I had the same problem on my 2LT with the 2.4. They downloaded the latest program and the problem was resolved. Be sure to also check all the fuses under the hood and under the access cover on the right side of the console for looseness.

DohnerJ
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I am new to the forums on here i actually found the site via google when i typed in temp gauge not working. I am having this problem with my 07 hhr 2.4 so should i just change the thermostate and go from there. I am pretty mechanicly inclinde so its nothing to change it for me just need to kind know if this is a good starting point. I also got the P0128 code going on with the gauge not working. THanks for all your help

whopper
08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I am new to the forums on here i actually found the site via google when i typed in temp gauge not working. I am having this problem with my 07 hhr 2.4 so should i just change the thermostate and go from there. I am pretty mechanicly inclinde so its nothing to change it for me just need to kind know if this is a good starting point. I also got the P0128 code going on with the gauge not working. THanks for all your help

Welcome. You are headed in the right direction with the thermostat replacement - see http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24493 for details on changing it yourself - it's not a big job and you can save some $'s, and get your hands dirty at the same time :lol:

DohnerJ
08-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey I got a new thermostate and coolant today I spent 36 on parts took me 10 mins to change it and about another 10 15 to burb the system. Worked like a charm. The old thermostate the middle gasket was halfway pulled through and sticking the tstat open. But thanks to all you guys on here for pin pointing this issue and saving me a trip to the dealer.