Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Added Carputer replaced Stock Stereo (Stereo Adapter)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Added Carputer replaced Stock Stereo (Stereo Adapter)

I recently removed my stock stero in my HHR to put in a Touch Screen monitor for a carputer. I had the stock stereo with the stock pioneer Amp.

I did purchase a GM Adapter that connectes to the stock Radio wire and had 4 RCA Jacks... GMS-LAN-04 by Axxess.

The question I have is what should I be connecting to the RCA jacks?

Do I need any line leveling?

Currently I am running the Headphone out from the carputer to this and it's seems to be working but wasn't sure if this was the best solution?

When the computer is turned off, I do get heavy feedback to the speakers like a humming noise.

Thanks,

Roger
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM

i would say get a 3.5mm to rca cable. maybe you can run an eq between the lan-04 and the carputer, or do both.

or maybe something like a scosche slc4
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Hey Rogoflap any pics of how you mounted your carputer. Which touchscreen did you use? I have a usb gps antenna by Garmin for the laptop. With the new Ipad released recently as well as convertable laptops announced by Asus and others at decent prices I'm thinking of just getting one of them and mounting it over the stock stereo location and making it easily removable.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Here is a link to an iPad in dash install I found today.

http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-inst...d-in-your-car/
Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Fox Hat....

Sorry didn't visit the site for a while.

Anyway here are a few pics...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/vbim...ages&id=187470

I will upload more later maybe this weekend.

I thought about keeping the Stock Stereo in, but really it was easy to remove it. There is a stereo wiring adapter... last pic, that actually clicks in with the car stock stereo wiring harness and allows me to easily use power and the speakers without any modifications to the original wireing.

When I want, I can easily remove the adapter and put in the stock stereo and NO ONE will ever know.

Also the monitor mounted in with NO modifications to the car. I just used a strip of metal to mount the LCD Screen in place to hold it there.

Easier than I had originally thought.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM

buy a double din chassis and mount the lcd in it.. that looks awful..sorry
Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

the head unit is ok but it lokks like you forgot to buy the install kit..has a shroud around the outer edge to hide that gap!!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM

So is there a specific install kit I need, or will any Double Din kit work?

Also my point earlier was no modifications were made to get this to fit. As I have seen others spend hours making cuts, changes to either the Touch Screen and / or dash to make the 7" screen fit.

Rog
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM

go on mp3car. you buy a double din chassis kit, remove the lcd case and mount the touchscreen inside. I am pretty sure there would be no modification necessary with the din kit. it is a true double din that fits well, from what i have seen others installing aftermarket head units.

I'm gonna build one myself after i finish my other project. Mini-itx zotac with a lilliput, also put a bypass switch on the power lead. so if you turn your car off for a short period of time, you can leave power on all the time to your carputer.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

the stereo shop I used had many different install kits..no cutting needed but I think any double din install kit should do as long as the faceplate cover is large enough to cover the outer edge of the hole..

Quick Reply: Added Carputer replaced Stock Stereo (Stereo Adapter)