Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket DVD head unit installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Aftermarket DVD head unit installation

I am replacing the HHR stock CD radio with a DVD in-dash receiver, and will possibly extend it with a headrest monitor for the back seat at a later time. Here is what I have obtained so far:
  • JVC KW-AVX830 double DIN DVD receiver
  • HHR double DIN fascia frame
  • Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 adapter for amplified systems (to reproduce chimes and turn signal clicks)
  • Axxess ASWC (interface for steering wheel controls)

The GMOS seems to work fine - the chimes sound almost the same, the turn signal clicking is a bit weak but audible.

The fascia frame installs nicely onto the head unit also. The problem is trying to fit the unit into the dashboard. The holes in the plastic back wall are customized for the stock radio, and most of the wiring coming out of the JVC unit is in slightly different locations. The cooling fan is obstructed, and especially the four line-out RCA connectors make the effective length on the unit about 3 inches longer than the stock radio.

I would like to know how others have dealt with the situation? I can only see this working by cutting into the plastic back wall but would rather hold off on having to remove half the dashboard panels to get that out.

I would also appreciate any ideas on where and how to mount the GMOS and ASWC adapter so they won't rattle.

Thanks for your ideas!

Fred
2008 Chevrolet HHR 2.4 LT
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 AM

You will have to cut most of the back wall out of the radio opening. Everyone has the same complaint...their new wiring harness, RCAs, etc... hit the rear and will not fit.
You can just feel around thru the pre-existing holes to verify that you aren't going to cut any wires hidden behind the plastic BEFORE you cut.
I used an air-powered "fender saw" (basically an inline jig-saw on crack) and made short work of it.
In a pinch, you can substitute a hacksaw blade clamped in some Vice-Grips. It doesn't have to be perfect, because no one will ever see it but you (and the person who buys it later in life).