Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Blown Speaker Replacement and Transmission Line Sub Enclosure Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Blown Speaker Replacement and Transmission Line Sub Enclosure Question

New to the forum as a member but I will have to say it has been a very usefull resource to me since I have bought my 2007 HHR LS.

I am by no means "new" to car audio but my HHR is so far the biggest investment I have made in my life so hacking it up is out of the question (at least for now haha). About a week ago I was messing around with the factory settings on my head unit and discovered that my rear speaker was blown, I have been shopping around for a couple months now and since my taxes are coming soon I think the timing couldn't be any better.

Just looking for a drop in speaker right now, pretty sure I found one but other opinions of other products would be greatly appreciated. Clarity is most important since I have a Kicker CVX 12 that will be installed once I get a different head unit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

Last question, For the box I Will be building a transmission line ported enclosure. Found out that I can get a couple of sheets of some thick plexi for free, How hard would it be to make the whole box out of plexi??? Thought it would be cool since the ports on transmission lines are a couple of feet deep compared to a couple of inches hahaha.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Looked into it and im not ready for the headache of building a transmission line, going ported.

Anyone install components in the rear of their hhr?? Im thinking that the Pioneer 2 way component speakers would be nice to have in all 4 doors with the tweeters installed directly above the woofers.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-A1604C.html

If i was to install components in the front door (tweeters mounted above woofers) and change out the factory tweeter, the total impedance would be 2 ohms right?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

no i put coaxials in back sounds good. I'm sure more highs from back there would be good. I would put the tweets higher though.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 PM

The reason for them being above the woofer is so that they wont be in my ear when im driving and i think it would look cool to have the Pioneer Speakers grilles installed in the door panels with the tweeters directly above. Had components in my old truck with tweeter mounted high and my buddie had the same truck with the tweeters mounted low, I couldn't tell the difference.

What type of coaxials did you get?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

I did the componets in front too, I really liked the additional highs from the back, hince they should be high enough to balance with the front. I went with MB Quart nice stuff for the money. with alpine. Until you deaden the car none of them will sound good.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Hey-Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 PM

I know, im gonna use Fat Mat on the doors, MB Quart interested me but I never knew anyone that actually had them installed. How did you install the crossovers to the tweeters?
Do you have the wide-sphere tweeters upfront?

And thanks for the welcome!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM

Ordered my speakers today, 2 sets of components

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...6.5C.html#tabs

Less than $65 at wally world

I will make sure to take plenty of pictures and post them to the fourm