Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pre-amp signal /OEM Sub amp

Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Pre-amp signal /OEM Sub amp

I'm picking up my 2011 LS next week and although I ordered it with the Premium Sound it's not coming with it (still seeing if the dealer can/will install it). They tossed in some other options so I'm happy with the car. My question is how do I get a pre-amp signal to the back of the car? I don't want to tap into the speakers. I ordered the My Link package, does that head unit have any kind of pre-amp out on it? I'll find an ignition switchable tap somewhere. I've been installing car stereo systems for a long time so I have no issue pulling the head unit out, yanking panels, etc. I'm not looking for enough to bass to blow my windshield out but the tire well in the back has some nice space to put a decent sized sub and amp. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Only way to do it is tap into the speaker wires or aftermarket head unit with pre out for the amps.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by djr1973
Only way to do it is tap into the speaker wires or aftermarket head unit with pre out for the amps.
Bleh..lol thanks...
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Well finally got my HHR and was hoping the wire harness for the sub/amp was run to the back of the car but of course not..lol In order to install the OEM sub/amp will I need anything other than the factory wire harness run from the head unit to the back of the car? Is it as simple as plugging said harness into the back of the factory head unit? I did get the My Link package with the upgraded head unit. I CAN order the harness but will I need any kind of control module along the way? I pulled the plastic cover off where the sub is supposed to go...kind of not knowing that round panel is not supposed to be removed..oops..lol I looked in there with a flash light hoping to see a plug for the pigtail that comes off the amp but to no avail. I know it's a lot of questions sorry guys..lol I plan on replacing the factory speakers with some nice aftermarket ones anyway although I'm a little hesitant about the tweeters because I see that "Air Bag" emblem staring at me. I do at some point plan on added an aftermarket sub and amp but for now I just want to get a little extra thump in my system.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Haven't bought it yet, but it seems like it is what you are looking for. See link below
http://www.autosoundcentral.com/PAC_...oemgm1416a.htm
Let me know if you get it and how it goes on the install
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by jimpennjr
Haven't bought it yet, but it seems like it is what you are looking for. See link below
http://www.autosoundcentral.com/PAC_...oemgm1416a.htm
Let me know if you get it and how it goes on the install
Great minds think alike..lol I was just looking into that last night. I found it on Ebay and asked the seller if it would work in the 2011 model. He said it "should" work because it works in the 2010. It's only $39 so I might take the plunge. If not just resell it on Ebay. The fact the HHR has the battery in the back already is great. Saves running anything through the firewall. I have an inquiry into PAC itself to see if that harness will work as well. If it does it would save a ton of time and expense. I'm replacing the factory speakers this weekend and am hoping the factory head unit has enough juice to drive them. If not and the harness works just get a 4+1 amp. Probably not tackling the tweeters, the "Air Bag" emblem scares me. If the harness does work how long of RCA's do you think it would take to get from the head unit to the back? 20ft?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 PM

20ft. might be to much, remember it's only going from the head unit to floor to the back of the rear seats. 15ft should be plenty.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 AM

this unit does not work on canadian models or any with auto daytime running lights
Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by otacon
Great minds think alike..lol I was just looking into that last night. I found it on Ebay and asked the seller if it would work in the 2011 model. He said it "should" work because it works in the 2010. It's only $39 so I might take the plunge. If not just resell it on Ebay. The fact the HHR has the battery in the back already is great. Saves running anything through the firewall. I have an inquiry into PAC itself to see if that harness will work as well. If it does it would save a ton of time and expense. I'm replacing the factory speakers this weekend and am hoping the factory head unit has enough juice to drive them. If not and the harness works just get a 4+1 amp. Probably not tackling the tweeters, the "Air Bag" emblem scares me. If the harness does work how long of RCA's do you think it would take to get from the head unit to the back? 20ft?
this unit does not work on canadian models or any with auto daytime running lights
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM

I actually installed that same adapter on my 2007 with the base radio and it works just fine. Used it in conjunction with a Pioneer amp my wife got me for fathers day and an old bazooka tube. Just be advised that your door chimes and turn signal sounds will be louder as they are also being amplified. Ill throw up some pics of the install if you want. I managed to fit it right next to where the fuse panel is on the passenger side for easy adjustment.