Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

can't Vin unlock radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Sorry but, I think they owe you the funds, maybe a PM to Geoff G. at CCS will help!
Taking your cash and not telling you the truth is disrespectful to you and GM as they are the root cause of people not wanting to go to a dealership for any thing because of this type of service or should I say dis service
Old 06-18-2015, 04:47 PM

seriously Philip you need to pm Chevrolet customer service, since they were following this thread, that is proof enough for them to put pressure on those dealers to refund you your money. Just the fact they refuse to refund you after you show them proof that another Chevrolet dealer did the job that was asked so they got paid for services rendered, The other dealerships did not complete the services do to lack of knowledge. They cant say sorry the radio is broken, but we still need to get paid, Wrong! They shouldn't get paid for services not rendered. You now have proof they just didn't know what they were doing. The fact that they still won't refund you says a lot about their bad business practices. If you don't get this settled to your satisfaction you should also go to BBB and complain. you will win! Don't let them get away with cheating the public Philip. I'll be mad at you if you don't take it there!
Tim
Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Tim as soon as I got back from getting my radio unlocked, I went online and filed a complaint with the Michigan BBB. I uploaded a copy of the unlock service from the dealer that did unlock my radio. I also uploaded a copy of the charge that I payed the dealer that failed unlocking my radio stating it could not be done. I demanded I get my money back from them. Now I just wait for a response. I will let everyone no how I make out. It's a shame when you have to take your vehicle to the dealer, pay the high labor cost they have, and you find out they are not professional. I retired from Gm after working there 40 years. I have never drove anything buy Chevrolet . And never will. Thankfully there are dealers around that no there stuff. I just got unlucky.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Technical Moderator

When I made a BB complaint about my local Chevy dealer it took less than 72 hours to have a check in my mailbox.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by pdmorris1
Tim as soon as I got back from getting my radio unlocked, I went online and filed a complaint with the Michigan BBB. I uploaded a copy of the unlock service from the dealer that did unlock my radio. I also uploaded a copy of the charge that I payed the dealer that failed unlocking my radio stating it could not be done. I demanded I get my money back from them. Now I just wait for a response. I will let everyone no how I make out. It's a shame when you have to take your vehicle to the dealer, pay the high labor cost they have, and you find out they are not professional. I retired from Gm after working there 40 years. I have never drove anything buy Chevrolet . And never will. Thankfully there are dealers around that no there stuff. I just got unlucky.
Glad you did that! Like Don said you should get a check with no problem. Kudos Phil!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Technical Moderator

But, I was alleging fraud with evidence.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:53 PM

got my check

Guys I got my check in the mail today from the dealership. That was really fast. what's that old saying, the squeaky wheel get the grease. The reason I wanted the radio was for the USB,to play my Oldies 50's and 60"s loaded on a flash drive. I'm ready to take a trip and listen to my HHR tunes
Old 06-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Administrator

And gas money!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:29 PM

Hello pdmorris1,
I had the exact same problem and went threw 3 dealers before they got my new radio unlocked but that was with a little help of my own.

The 3rd time and after an hour they let me go back with the tech and watch him. They write down the new radio part number and plug in your year options. Good chance your new radio pn will not be on the techs computer screen list to unlock. They are very afraid to pick a number other than yours thinking they might fry something.

I had him pick a known part number with my options from the list that was close to my new radio and it worked. 3 other bay mech had to see it working. haha!
Service guy offered me a job too.

Anyway congrats!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 PM

As it is an old thread I wanted to add to this in case someone else runs into this problem, as I'm sure there will be.

I have my own Tech 2 tool and hate to leave repairs to others as is evident by this thread. I have a plain 2007 LS Panel. I wanted to put in Satellite Radio as I have it in my Monte Carlo SS and makes me want to drive my HHR less because I hate Am/FM but the HHR is so much fun to drive.

I pulled a radio from a 2007 LT HHR with the Panasonic 7 speaker system. To program the BCM to removed the "Locked" message you use the "SPS, Service Programming System" of the Tech 2. The SPS software has a database that has a build sheet for your vehicle when built. My HHR was not built with Radio 15951997 and it wasn't an option available for that model, so the software is confused and won't progress past a certain point. To get around this when you perform the first step of the SPS process, which is hooking it to you HHR and choosing SPS Programming, when the Tech 2 ask's if the VIN is correct, answer "NO", it will tell you to record the VIN of the Vehicle you are working on. Then when you connect the Tech 2 tool to your SPS programming computer, it will ask you to insert the VIN. Put in the VIN from the vehicle where the radio came from. Then when you get to the screen where you select which Module you want to program, choose Radio which will then bring up a menu which will allow you to choose all the radios available for that model. I chose Enhanced Radio without 7 speaker system (it came from a vehicle with 7 speaker system, but i haven't got to installing and wiring in the factory amp and sub), and then you have to choose which radio model number. I found that Radio 15951977 was not one of the choices, but searching on a GM parts site that radio 15951977 superseded number 25780237, so 25780237 was one of the options available and I programmed the Tech 2 with the software needed for that radio. Then connected the Tech 2 tool to my HHR and went thru the next step of the SPS programming process. It recognized the radio as being a 15951977 and loaded the required software needed and the radio now works fine. Speakers still cut out but that is another problem.

Rick

Quick Reply: can't Vin unlock radio