Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

new stereo/speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:05 PM

new stereo/speaker install

Anyone here? I tried using the search feature without luck. I am trying to put new speakers in my doors and want to make sure I don't break anything.

Rear door: i have it popped all around the perimeter, but there is something in the midd of the door panel stopping it from coming off. It appears that I do not have to remove the door handle ???

I'll also need help in removing the radio.............

If this is already posted somewhere, please post a link to it

Got the laptop next to the car for instant gratification............
Old 08-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Be right back with some links for ya.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Captain Howdy's Speaker Install
Complete with how to remove door panels & pictures.

Stock Radio Removal
Courtesy of Mike from SoCalHHR's - complete with pictures.
Well...pictures were there...don't see them on my end.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM

thanks,

i don't see the pics for the radio install either, but i have my hands full with the door panels/speakers, at least now i know what was holding that panel on
Old 08-05-2006, 05:12 PM

Gonna do very basic instructions from memory. Once you get the first few steps done, you should be ok.
The first thing I did was to disconnect the battery cable...but that's a personal decision.

Take a flat screwdriver and on the upper right hand side of the trim around console area, gently lift up until clip releases. Do this until you get down to the bottom and then go up to upper left hand side and do the same until trim piece releases itself.

Once that piece is off, you should be able to see everything that needs to be unscrewed and disconnected....it's pretty easy once you get the trim off.

Remove the piece that surrounds the radio and other components in the center console area. I don't remember if it's screwed in or not...if it is, unscrew it...if it's not, then stick your hands in the vents at the top and gently pull the entire piece loose.

Once you have that piece loose, you'll need to unplug the connector at the top and anything else holding it in place.

Then take out the screws that hold the controls below the radio unit so removing the radio is easier.

Remove screws that hold the radio, unhook all the plugs and radio should come right out.

I'm sure I may have missed something, but once you get inside, it's pretty easy to figure out. I have PM'd Mike at SoCalHHR's and asked for photos. Once we have those, I'll be sure to post them here or let you know that they have been restored on the original message.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 AM

well, I only got the rear speakers in so far. I had to drill mounting holes, because my setup didn't look like Captain Howdy's. Also I wasted money buying speaker mounting plates from Cruthfield (they had recommended them) because the Infinity speakers I bought already had a couple different styles included. Gonna see how to return them.

First door took a couple hours from the time I got out the tools (and the laptop), but the second door was done in about 20 minutes. :twothumbs

can't really say if they sound better or not because I don't think that the stock stereo has enough umph to drive them.

I'm going to try just installing the Pioneer 5800 I bought without any additional amplification. Then, will detemine if I want to get a couple amps and a sub.

Anyone know how I should wire the Tweeters in the front pillar??? I was thinking of just parelleling them off of the new front speakers, although they already have a there own tweeters.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 AM

the door speakers I used is made by audiobahn. They have removable tweeters. I used the removable tweeters from the front doors to replace the OEM tweets.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mudbilly
well, I only got the rear speakers in so far. I had to drill mounting holes, because my setup didn't look like Captain Howdy's. Also I wasted money buying speaker mounting plates from Cruthfield (they had recommended them) because the Infinity speakers I bought already had a couple different styles included. Gonna see how to return them.

First door took a couple hours from the time I got out the tools (and the laptop), but the second door was done in about 20 minutes. :twothumbs

can't really say if they sound better or not because I don't think that the stock stereo has enough umph to drive them.

I'm going to try just installing the Pioneer 5800 I bought without any additional amplification. Then, will detemine if I want to get a couple amps and a sub.

Anyone know how I should wire the Tweeters in the front pillar??? I was thinking of just parelleling them off of the new front speakers, although they already have a there own tweeters.
Which Infinity door speakers did you buy? If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I would bet that those infinity are going to need an amp to properly push them. I bougth the Infinity components that came with a passive crossover and had a separate hook-up for the tweets. We need more info on what you exactly purchased...

Late
Ng
Old 08-07-2006, 12:21 PM

here is what I bought, the tweerters are intrigral..........

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kh0xqUQ...=detailed_info
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 AM

6012Si (shallow) just curious, why did you go with the shallow speakers? I have the 6012i's on my rear doors. Did you go with the Si's for all your doors?

Ng

Quick Reply: new stereo/speaker install