Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

NO sound from Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Actually you don't necessarily have the same problem - you get NO sound from the radio (the others did). Your problem could be the radio itself needs replacement, or the speaker connections at the radio are faulty, or the mute switch is on, or there is a power supply issue with the radio, or ALL the speakers have died... and the list can go on and on.

At this point you need to do some troubleshooting, and supply further info on the results if you are looking for help with this. If you are unfamiliar with using a Volt Ohm meter which would be handy/necessary for testing the power and the various connections, it is likely best to take it to a auto stereo shop for diagnosis.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:57 AM

I am having this exact issue. I have bought a replacement radio to discover that it VIN locked on all cars the year before mine. Thanks Mr. Scrapyard dude for not mentioning that tidbit. Now I have an aftermarket stereo that I love but cost me way more $$$$$ than I had planned on. Thanks to the idiots at my local Best Buy. Now that I KNOW its the speakers, does anyone have a copy of the wiring schematic for a 2009 2.2L?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Technical Moderator

What would you need a wiring schematic for? Just replace the speakers. There are several threads on how to.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM

I only have my 2 tweeter speakers playing

I wish someone would've came back and answered if new speakers fixed there problem!! I have a 2009 and for the last few months my speakers would work one day and not work the next day, except the tweeters and they've always worked !! Now the tweeters are the only thing that work!! Well I thought it was probably the radio playing out but after reading this maybe it's the speakers!! Does anyone know if the speakers fixed this problem??
Old 08-23-2015, 08:19 PM

Also does anyone know how many speakers and what size I would need for the hhr??
Old 08-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by shaneslife
Also does anyone know how many speakers and what size I would need for the hhr??
Without you posting what HHR model and/or which sound system you have, hard to give an answer.

Fwiw. There are tons of threads regarding factory systems,speakers,sizes etc.
Maybe try the Search box above.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 AM

shaneslife,

Try the search box at the top of the forum, With a little luck you will find the first post I made here. I had the same problem. Rather than bore the regulars here with my timeless story I will say YES! replacing just the door speakers did fix my stereo problems.

If you bother to read all the posts by me {and others} about our stereo problems you will find that I took the 'dead' speakers from my doors and put them in some rough built speaker enclosures and they are still rockin just fine in the garage hooked up to an old Clarion CD eater aftermarket stereo and a homebuilt regulated power supply.

I have a set of the cheapest 6.5" round speakers walmart sells in the doors. While I do sometimes wish I had a tad more bass I get by.

Look around on eBay for at least a pair of long throw 6.5" speakers to stuff in your front doors to go along with the tweeters you have in the door pillars.

Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pyle-PLG6-4-4-Way-6-5-300-Watt-Car-Audio-Speakers-Pair-PLG64-4-Way-Speakers-/261678507902?hash=item3ced41277e
If you think these are to pricey look around some more. You will need to buy or make some speaker adaptors to fill the gigantic oddly shaped hole in your door.

Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Kits-BKGMSB356-2006-11-Chevy-Hhr-2006-2012-Impala-6-1-2-Speaker-Adapter-/391211722037?hash=item5b16092535&vxp=mtr
The stock front speakers are marked 4 OHM and the rears are marked 8 OHM but the walmart speakers were all 8 OHM and seem to be working just fine since I put them in.

Now its up to you to pick a set you think you like and decide how much you want to pay.

Be aware that unless you get genuine GM speakers you will probably have to cut the genuine GM wire connectors off and put on spade lugs or something to be able to hook up the replacement speakers.

I tapped into the original wires and added a 6" length of speaker wire with the appropriate connections on them to fit the new speakers. On my replacement speakers the terminals on one side had a regular 1/4" lug and the other had about a 1/16" lug.

If you tap in to the existing wires be sure to tape things up so there is no bare wire to touch together.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Administrator

These will help you adapt the new speakers to your OEM speaker wire harness

http://m.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-Speaker-...-/380398663549
Old 09-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by JCC
UPDATE: For the last 5-6 days I get 3 of the 4 door speakers working BUT the sound comes and goes!
The only one not working at all is the RIGHT FRONT DOOR. At one time the RIGHT REAR door speaker worked ONLY?? Again the sound comes and goes and mostly not at all... but the 2 small woofers in the front work all the time.
Can you tell me what you finally did about this..? I'm having the same problem with my 2010. I appreciate your time in answering my reply. BH Aston, Pa.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Pretty clear that replacing the speakers was the fix! Have you tried searching and then reading the threads?

And; don't post questions in every thread.

Quick Reply: NO sound from Radio