Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Remote Start Question regarding "pit stop" mode.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 AM

Question Remote Start Question regarding "pit stop" mode.

Hey guys, first post on these forums so I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I thought I'd ask. I can't find the information I'm looking for in any of the resources I have available to me so far.

So, before college I worked as a car stereo installer. Many of the after market alarms I installed had what we used to call a "pit stop" feature.
*This would basically allow you to push some combination of buttons on the remote, then turn the key off and remove it, get out and lock the vehicle using the remote (thus arming the security) all without ever turning the engine (...climate control, etc.) off.

Is this possible with the factory remote start system in the HHR?
If so, how do I do it?

For those of you unfamiliar with this type of feature it is very useful when running into the gas station for a drink, dropping something by the office, or any other quick stop. Basically when you're only going to be out of the car for a few minutes and don't want to shut it down, but don't want to leave it unprotected.

Thanks for any info!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 AM

That sounds a lot like the turbo timer option on after market alarms. I do not know enough about these HHR's yet but I would have a hard time thinking that GM would use this feature.

You could always add a turbo timer even to a non turbo car. They have the same fail safe usually i.e. step on the brake prior to reinserting the key and the engine shuts off.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Welcome Skyflyer
Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 AM

I dont think this is possible with our system. You could however turn off the car, exit with the keys and restart it with the remote start, or you could leave the key in with it running, leave with the remote and then lock the vehicle.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Deceased

to the forum Skyflyer!

Prod hit it on the nose, no "pit stop" function with the GM system, but he's outlined the two best ways to keep one running while secured.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Skyflyer
For those of you unfamiliar with this type of feature it is very useful when running into the gas station for a drink, dropping something by the office, or any other quick stop. Basically when you're only going to be out of the car for a few minutes and don't want to shut it down, but don't want to leave it unprotected.
Familiar with the feature; yes. I've seen some kids at car shows playing with that on their cars. I just don't get it. How hard is it really to turn off the vehicle and lock and then unlock it and re start is when you return?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 AM

X2
Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Plus... in some states it's illegal to leave your keys in the car with it running, as suggested to take the fob with you but leave the keys in the ignition.

I'd have to also go along with Prod's, "How hard is it really to turn off the vehicle and lock and then unlock it and re-start it when you return?" I know we're getting lazier and lazier, but... there comes a time and limit.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Technical Moderator

I once got a Moving Violation in Washington,DC for standing next to my car while the engine was running.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaGrinch
I'd have to also go along with Prod's, "How hard is it really to turn off the vehicle and lock and then unlock it and re-start it when you return?" I know we're getting lazier and lazier, but... there comes a time and limit.
That was mine...

Quick Reply: Remote Start Question regarding "pit stop" mode.