Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

running new speaker wire through doors

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM

running new speaker wire through doors

any tips, ive done it before on other cars, i know its a pain on most cars, but this seems extra challenging lol. ive already ran the wire throughout the car, just need to get it from the kick panel area up through the side of the dash and through the door jams... on the passenger side (havent even looked at the drivers) i cant see the door jamb wires from inside the dash..removed the glove box and all... any tips would be great!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 PM

Go to the zoo and ask to rent a double-jointed spider monkey. Then hand him a flashlight. There is a post on the board somewhere and a member actually REMOVED THE DOOR to run wires. It ain't an easy task.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM

i saw that thread, it was a guy with a silver panel lol. im not removing my doors though even though it would make it easier.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 PM

That was me. The doors are easier to remove and replace than you'd think.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Here are a few shots I took of the passenger side. The last one is the driver's side.
Attached Images     
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM

damn, didnt really want to remove them becuase its been raining too, if i get caught while it starts to rain im gonna be screwed lol

is it hard to line up the doors again though, i remember on my old dakota (granted it was an 88 lol) when i went to re-bolt them up, they slid around, it was hard to get the gaps in the front/back of the door jambs to be even on both sides, im sure its easier on a new car though.

i may just do this though..would make it a ton easier to get these wires, and i actually have 2 runs of 16ga wire to get through to each front door. rears im not running any speakers.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
RFT

I used the same gauge and quantity of wire for all four doors without taking it off. If you have small hands you can do it fairly easily by taking off the side panels of the dash. The easiest way for me was to disconnect the connection at the door and then run the wire through the sections individually. I took some pictures and will see if I can find them.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM

ive done all that and my hands are small, im gonna try again tomorow before it gets scorching hot outside (florida) lol.. i know ill be able to get it, its just hella time consuming. i hate doing this on every car i get!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 PM

Unbolting the door from the hinges ( as opposed to removing the hinges from the car ) is easy, and the bolts have a shoulder on them, or more appropriately, a neck, so alignment is not an issue. I wish I had started with the driver's door, because if I had, I would have ended up pulling all 4 off, and cut my time easily in half. I only had one run of 12 ga. into each door ( driver only in fronts, driver, tweeter, and x over in rears ).
Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 AM

I ran the wires through the door jamb without taking the doors off. If you are able to position yourself with your head under the dash looking up, you can remove the kick panel trim and see the rubber barrier with wires passing into the frame. With stiff wire you can thread it into there, up through the frame and catch it where the door plug is.
From there the wire I used was thin enough to thread through a gap in the door plug and I used a screwdriver to push it through the rubber hose into the door. Once you remove the door speaker there is plenty of room for your arm in there to grab the wire and pull it down to the speaker hole.
I may have pics here, Ill look for them.

EDIT: here -

Last edited by prod; 08-28-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: running new speaker wire through doors