Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Speakers go in and out

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Cool Speakers go in and out

So, I've read a lot of you having issues with your speakers, but haven't directly heard of an issue as I'm having.

Sometimes the speakers work. Sometimes they are faintly working. I did read somewhere that someone said their speakers go out when it rains. So, I paid attention to the weather, and YUP, sure enough, when it rains, the speakers go out (I can faintly hear the music). Then, when it's been hot and sunny/dry, they pop back on. This is an issue as New Orleans is notorious for it's humidity, so most mornings are depressingly quiet until the sun works it magic.

I've heard "it must be a leak." Well, I will post more on that in another thread - I now know I have a leak somewhere after parking on a slated road in a rain storm and witnessing my floor boards fill with water.

What to do, what to do?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Technical Moderator

You say you've read a lot. Strange you have not run into this exact problem, It is posted up at least once a month here.

A) usually water infiltration through the window moulding
B) sometimes water through the accordion conduit
C) sometimes a failing Head Unit
D) sometimes faulty wiring (including a bad ground)

There are threads in the how-to area re removing the panels to get to the speakers and how to remove the HU and inspect the wiring.

If you are having insufficient results with our search tool try to use different search terms, just about everything has been covered here at some time.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Before looking at the speaker issue, you might want to find and get rid of the water leak first. Being yours is a 2007 it might be one with the butyl patch under the plastic cowl in front of the windshield which numerous members have had problems with.

Check this thread for full details on resolving that possible problem - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...t-night-14263/

You do not want to neglect any water leaks - they can be very damaging to the car, including the one detailed above which can ruin the resister pack that on the heater fan motor. When that goes, you end up with a high-speed-only fan motor.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 PM

CAR HHR at dealer for left front an rear speakers not working under warranty ...replaced 2 speakers and transmitter ..picking up later details to follow
Old 12-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by salvy
CAR HHR at dealer for left front an rear speakers not working under warranty ...replaced 2 speakers and transmitter ..picking up later details to follow
Transmitter?

My HHR came with a receiver. It does have a CD player built in, but no transmitter in the stock head unit.

Problems with my stock stereo is what brought me to this forum in the first place. I've put lots of different speakers in my doors over time and have the cheapest set Walmart sell in there now.

I had a fairly pricy set of Bose Infinity three way speakers in the front but the tweeter in those was driving me nuts. Don't care for all the high pitched frequency they produce.

The Walmart ones are two way and do have a tweeter in the center but they don't bother me at all.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Transmitter?

My HHR came with a receiver. It does have a CD player built in, but no transmitter in the stock head unit.

Problems with my stock stereo is what brought me to this forum in the first place. I've put lots of different speakers in my doors over time and have the cheapest set Walmart sell in there now.

I had a fairly pricy set of Bose Infinity three way speakers in the front but the tweeter in those was driving me nuts. Don't care for all the high pitched frequency they produce.

The Walmart ones are two way and do have a tweeter in the center but they don't bother me at all.
they replaced speakers they seem fine so far.....i found out the transmitter was to lock ..unlock doors thats attached to keys..got new one of those and the chime sound came back.....nice to read up and look for problems while the bumper to bumper is in effect.....
Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Technical Moderator

So you got new speakers and a new keyfob.

The speakers fixed the chimes.

Got no idea why they gave you a new keyfob, I guess you couldn't unlock the doors remotely.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
So you got new speakers and a new keyfob.

The speakers fixed the chimes.

Got no idea why they gave you a new keyfob, I guess you couldn't unlock the doors remotely.
only left side speakers didnt work....and dont remember chimes....so im thinking no chimes is a sig keyfob is bad....
Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Chimes are through the left speakers, the key fob would have still locked and unlocked the door.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:16 PM

as I stated in another post my speakers would go out, come back on when they wanted to so I waited till they had stopped then pulled door panels on right side tried another speaker the new one started playing so changed left front one to now I need 2 for rear doors. when changed left one the chimes started again, they had stopped working completely last week also the magnets on the speaker were wet but inside the doors were dry..

Quick Reply: Speakers go in and out