Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Stereo

A couple questions--
I want to install 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L5 Subs in the cargo area of my ride. I don't use the radio or the CD Player because I have Sirius and an MP3 player. I don't want to replace the Stock radio due to that fact. Should I replace the stock speakers and tweeters in the HHR and what would you recommend? I understand that running Kicker Subs, that they are hungry for power so I need a good size amp. Would I need another battery to run all that power?
Each subs RMS is 300
Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM

You should be ok as long as you get a decent 1000 watt or so amp.And the way the HHR is set up you can ground it directly to the battery the correct way and not to the frame like most people do. So you should have plenty of power with out stressing the alternator or flickering the lights.You can also use a rca converter to tap in to the speaker line to the woofer in the back the supply rcas to the amp without having to run any wires through the car.As far as for the stock speakers and tweeters you should be good as long as you adjust them correctly remove the base and turn the mids down and the highs up to match the bass in the back.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM

You could use the factory ground and have no problems. The easiest way to splice into the factory wiring is behind the radio using t-taps. You will also need some way to trigger the remote turn on in the amp, i.e. a toggle switch.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 AM

You can save yourself a little money by purchasing an amp that has speaker level inputs. If you plan on using a bass enhancer like the epicenter or something like it make sure it has speaker level inputs. This way you can just run the left and right speaker wires straight into the equipment eliminating the need for a LOC. As far as the T-Taps are concerned I personally won't use them because I have this thing with messing with the integrity of the factory wiring. There are soo many adapters and stuff out there that you can usually get away without them. I would just get the adapters that connect into the door speaker plugs and converts them to 2 bare wires and then run them to the back into the amp and viola no cutting! You don't need the back speakers anyway but if you wanted some it is very easy to tap into the adapter. Sure it's extra work but you can turn your car back to factory very easily, and when you turn your fader to the rear it works the subs and when you turn it to the front it works the mids and highs so it adds some level of on the fly adjustability if you don't like the way it sounds with certain types of music. Like I said, it's a personal preference and it's more work but I think in the end it's worth it!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jss5891
You should be ok as long as you get a decent 1000 watt or so amp.And the way the HHR is set up you can ground it directly to the battery the correct way and not to the frame like most people do. So you should have plenty of power with out stressing the alternator or flickering the lights.You can also use a rca converter to tap in to the speaker line to the woofer in the back the supply rcas to the amp without having to run any wires through the car.As far as for the stock speakers and tweeters you should be good as long as you adjust them correctly remove the base and turn the mids down and the highs up to match the bass in the back.
JSS5891 - What do you mean "ground it directly to the battery the correct way and not to the frame like most people do". Why is that not correct. Your battery is connected to the frame of your vehicle, so it is the ground. In electronics you want your ground to be two things

1) You want your ground to be secure, meaning you can not move or twist your terminal.

2) you want your ground to be as close to your amp as possible.

One of the best things you can do is go to your local stereo shop, purchase a 4 guage wire and create a secure ground from your neg terminal to your chassis. I know the grounding wire kits have came on big the last couple of years and a lot of people laughed, but electronics with secure grounds and grounds that can handle the flow of electricity matter.

If you really want to know ( and some electronics guru's might disagree ) but current flows ( voltage drops ) from neg to positive so having an ample ground to support it matters.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by pipshhr
If you really want to know ( and some electronics guru's might disagree ) but current flows ( voltage drops ) from neg to positive so having an ample ground to support it matters.
This is very true