XM Class Action Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Founding Member

XM Class Action Suit?

Anyone else get this email?

If You Subscribed to Sirius, XM, or Sirius XM Radio
You Could Get Benefits From a Class Action Settlement

Para una notificación en Español, llamar 1-800-760-6247 o visitar www.SatelliteRadioSuit.com

Read this message carefully. Records show you subscribed to Sirius XM Radio. We are sending this e-mail to tell you about the proposed Settlement of a class action that may affect your legal rights. Go to www.SatelliteRadioSuit.com for a detailed notice about the proposed Settlement. There is a class action lawsuit against Sirius XM concerning the July 28, 2008 merger that created Sirius XM. The lawsuit claims this merger violated federal antitrust laws and that Sirius XM raised its prices as a result of the merger. Sirius XM denies it did anything wrong.

Who's Included? You are included in the Class if you were a Sirius, XM, or Sirius XM subscriber anytime from July 29, 2008 to July 5, 2011 and you paid: (1) the U.S. Music Royalty Fee; or (2) a monthly multi-radio charge of $8.99; or (3) a $2.99 monthly Internet access charge if you previously did not pay to access Sirius XM's content over the Internet.

What Does the Settlement Provide? Under this proposed Settlement, Sirius XM has agreed it will not raise the price of its base subscription plan and certain other prices through the end of 2011. Additionally, subscribers with long term plans (excluding lifetime subscriptions) will be permitted to restart their plan at current rates before December 31, 2011. After approval of the Settlement, former subscribers will also be permitted to either (a) reconnect their satellite radio without paying a reactivation fee and receive one month of service at no cost; or (b) receive one month of Sirius XM Internet streaming service at no cost. The estimated value of the Settlement is $180 million. The Settlement does not provide for cash payments to the Class.

How to Get Benefits? Current subscribers scheduled to renew before December 31, 2011 do not need to do anything. Current subscribers who are scheduled to renew after December 31, 2011 and who want to restart their long term plan at current rates as well as former subscribers who want to reconnect service or receive streaming service should go to www.siriusxm.com/blessingclassaction.

What Are Your Options? If you do not want to be legally bound by the Settlement, you must exclude yourself from it. The deadline to exclude yourself is July 5, 2011. If you do not exclude yourself, you will release all claims against Sirius XM concerning any conduct arising out of, based on, or relating to the merger that created Sirius XM. If you stay in the Settlement Class, you may object to it by July 11, 2011. The detailed notice, available at the website or by calling the toll-free number, tells you how to exclude yourself or object. The Court will hold a hearing on August 8, 2011, to consider whether to approve the Settlement and a request by Class Counsel for attorneys' fees and costs up to $13 million, plus interest. You may appear at the hearing, but you don't have to. You may also hire your own attorney, at your own expense, to appear or speak for you at the hearing, but you don't have to.

Do not call or write to Judge Baer for information.

For more information about the Settlement: www.SatelliteRadioSuit.com 1-800-760-6247
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Yep, I did too Brad. I had the free listen online, then the pay a few bucks to listen online. Seems like you get a month free or something. I skimmed over it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Yep, I did too Brad. I had the free listen online, then the pay a few bucks to listen online. Seems like you get a month free or something. I skimmed over it.

My Dad has xm on his 05 cobalt, online listening was free on line until the merge with sirius.That part turned me off to XM/Siruis.

Luckily Antenna TV and Radio is still free, but I wonder how long that will last. I'm sure Corporate America would love for us to pay for everything.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM

I bought my HHR used in December and was supposed to get 3 months of XM for free. Well, they did not turn it on until February, then they turned it back off in March, and then had the nerve to send me a letter a few weeks ago saying my trial subscription was going to run out May 15th, and that I should renew! That irritated me alot.

I called them and let them know they had turned it off in March, so the lady on the other end said she would turn it back on... for a fee. I went to their site and left some feedback, and asked that someone get in touch with me. They certainly did that! Kept calling like mad to get me to "renew" and that's why I'm never planning on doing a subscription. I can listen to mp3 CDs or plug my mp3 player into the radio and not worry.

Ohh, and I just got a special offer in the mail from them today for a year's subscription for 77 dollars, no reactivation fee, and then read the fine print about it goes to normal price after a year and they add royalty fees. Screw that. All I listened to when I had it was 3 channels.