Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

xm question

Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM

xm question

I know you guys have covered this a number of times but here is one i did not see on here
08 hhr radio has cat button on it ok we all heard this before but wait.i did some research on this.i looked at the sticker in glove box.i dont see the code that is for xm but i did pull the right side cover off in the cargo area and o boy it has the onstar xm combo module installed and an xm antenna pluged in.my question is how come i cant get the xm to work.does it have to go to chevy and have it turned on with a tech 2 tool
Old 10-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you pushed the cat button to see if it goes to the XM sample station?
Do you have an OnStar button on the mirror?
Have you called OnStar or XM?
The serial numbers should be somewhere. Don't have it, don't know.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by joeballs72
I know you guys have covered this a number of times but here is one i did not see on here
08 hhr radio has cat button on it ok we all heard this before but wait.i did some research on this.i looked at the sticker in glove box.i dont see the code that is for xm but i did pull the right side cover off in the cargo area and o boy it has the onstar xm combo module installed and an xm antenna pluged in.my question is how come i cant get the xm to work.does it have to go to chevy and have it turned on with a tech 2 tool
Welcome to the site. The Chevy dealer does not turn on XM radio. You have to call XM and give them the necessary information, vin radio sn etc and MONEY. First you need to address donbrew's questions and go from there especially the one about the XM sample station(XM channel 1).
Old 11-02-2014, 02:29 AM

Yes i pushed the cat button it says xm feature.
I know i have to call xm and pay for service i have 3 other xm radios and im not that stupid.
The radio dont go into xm mode at all.
And like i said it does have an xm module in the right rear above the wheel well it is a onstar xm combo module with both antennas hooked up.
I was told somone could have installed a new radio and never brought it to the dealer to have it programed with a tech 2 body control computer
Is this true.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Deceased

If the head unit was changed and it wasn't "matched" to your HHR via programming with a Tech II, it would not function at all I'm afraid.

Now, there is the possibility that the XM portion of the amplified antenna assembly has failed, I've had it happen three times. Unfortunately, testing for a failed antenna will require a trip to your dealer. Plus there is a possibility of a bad XM module itself, it does happen.

A good diagnostic technician armed with a Tech II can "interrogate" the antenna and XM module in the vehicle to determine if they are functioning properly, even if the HHR does not currently have the XM service turned on.

But to address the elephant in the room, if your HHR doesn't have the RPO code U2K on the build tag, you don't have XM. Check for RPO code U2J which is the XM Delete option usually found on fleet vehicles and ex-rentals. That code means you can have one built with OnStar, but no XM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:22 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by joeballs72
Yes i pushed the cat button it says xm feature.
I know i have to call xm and pay for service i have 3 other xm radios and im not that stupid.
I made no reference to intelligence. Many people don't know. Most people don't have or want XM.