Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

2008 HHR Brake N Shake

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:23 PM

Here is the latest:

We traveled to Oklahoma and went in to the dealership there, that we have done business with for quite a few years.

Friday they looked it over and after I told them what ya'll said on here, they agreed that it was not a good idea to turn the rotors again.

They also said that the steering column gear assembly was worn and needed replacement. Since they were going to be doing that, they also said we needed to replace the rack and pinion.

They ordered the parts and we took it back in Monday morning for the work to be done.

We picked it up, Tuesday late afternoon (some of the parts sent were wrong) and we paid, and drove out.

Not two blocks away, the front end made a nasty sound, and the ESC light and DIC message centre went crazy. We turned around and took it back to the dealer. They tinkered with it and said a connection was loose.

We left (as they closed) and within two blocks it did it again but then the Service ESC message and icon came on and stayed on. When they opened this morning, we took the car back in. They were able to see the ESC message and icon light on, and traced it. They said that there was a short (glitch) in the connection to the front right tire, the mechanic said that it was likely done when he installed the rack and pinion. The short was fixed and the error message disappeared.

We had them check our battery and since it was on the weak side, we went ahead and had them installa new battery.

Having driven the car a little bit since its been fixed, the shaking while braking appears to be gone.

So , I thank those of you who responded and suggested fixes. I truly appreciate it.

My car has 212K miles on it and I love it. I only have two complaints,,,,, one, I don't like where the window roll up/down buttons are, and the seats are not the most comfortable for long distance traveling.

We travel a lot and stillget right about 30 MPG long distance.

Gonna hit the road again tomorrow, so I sure hope everything is good.

Thank you all for the help !

Last edited by Oldblue; 02-03-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the sentence spacing
Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 PM

THAT (broken studs) is not part of your warranty. Dealer chargeback if they try....
Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Hopefully I'll get the spacing right this time. We've put about 2200 miles on the car since

the work was done and for the most part, it is doing good BUT that shaking still happens

every now and then. We're wondering if we need the wheel bearings taken care of?

Any ideas on that? Thank you all in advance.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Technical Moderator

Bad hubs/bearings will do it.

I'm not clear; did they finally accept the intermediate shaft could be a problem?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ninee
Here is the latest:
They also said that the steering column gear assembly was worn and needed replacement. Since they were going to be doing that, they also said we needed to replace the rack and pinion.

They ordered the parts and we took it back in Monday morning for the work to be done.
You should check your invoice. Unless I'm mistaken, the rack and pinion is the steering column gear assembly, or is at least included in the assembly. Hope they didn't charge you twice. The steering column intermediate shaft has no gears.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Administrator

The steering column is inside the car under the dashboard, the steering rack is in the engine cradle just in front of the firewall, the intermediate shaft connects them together , this is the steering column, the intermediate shaft connects on the splines on the right end

This is the intermediate shaft the right end attaches to the steering column under the dash

The other end attaches to the steering rack

The gear part mentioned could have been the electric power steering motor