Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Cold weather sqeaking is back...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Cold weather sqeaking is back...

I am just tired of this. I knew this was going to come back as soon as it got cold again! Every time I go over a bump in the first 5- 10 minutes of driving this car in under 32 F weather the stupid thing creaks and groans! Not just a little, it is pretty loud.

This should not be happening on a car that has 45K on it and barely a year and a half old. They tried to remedy it last spring by lubricating the suspension bushings up front or something and I figured it would come back. This seems to be coming more from the back than front. Now it will be on my dollar or time to pull this thing apart and fix it. Anyone else having these problems yet or is it just me gettting frustrated? I never had a car that did this... ever!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 PM
ecl

I have the same problem its been happening since around 20k and its still not fixed 16k later and some 5 trips to the shop. They went all the way to replace the steering column but wont replace a strut which im assuming is the problem. every time I take it in its just another excuse or we did this try it out. So far no luck either.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 PM

Same issue on mine. Winter set in last year at under 10K mi, and it was somewhat annoying. I don't think it's related to wear or mileage. I did notice a dust boot had worked itself out of position on one of the struts, but I was not able to correlate this with the squeaking noise.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 PM

Same thing with mine... now that the cold weather is back I have "squeaky bed-spring" noises from the rear for the first 5 mins or so, over most bumps.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM

I figured there would be more with this problem...

I'm sure there is are multiple reasons you can have sounds like this, but I just can't stand it. I really don't get why you would have to "lubricate" suspension bushings. I never have had to do this in the past with any vehicle. Not to mention that these stabilizer bushings are not easy to remove! I looked at the front ones they did, and unless you have a rack to put the vehicle up on, it is next to impossible!

I have to check into the back ones as I have not looked into that. Hopefully is something I can pull apart easy and diagnose. It seems to me the setup is not right or the rubber material is inferior to be doing this already.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

i have that too..but its just my back!!!!lol
Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Mine rattles and squeaks from the inside (10K) Mostly below the radio/HVAC controls. I can't wait until the chassis steps in!

Jim
Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 PM

I also have the sqeaking and groan of chassis when cold

Creaks and groans when cold! Luckily it doesn't seem to affect anything - just annoying for the 1st 5 to 10 minutes of highway driving. I only notice it when traveling 55/65 over the 'loose your stomach' dips in the road.

I have an 06' LT2 w/ approx 65,000 miles on it. It was doing it since I bought it used with 19k.
Don't want to take it back to the dealer bc they keep breaking pieces off the plastics in the interior!

I was thinking it could be related to an exhaust heat shroud. As the exhaust heats up, metals expands and the sound disappears.
Oh well! At least my engine temp gage now works! woo hoo!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM

I've had this with my HHR for quite some time (my HHR is over 4 years old now.) I had it in shop about 3 times and they could do nothing to fix the noises. Now that I'm out of warranty I don't even care anymore. It does sound terrible though.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Mine has the clunk during cold weather as well but just recently started making a new noise. Whenever I go over a sharp rise it sounds like the tire is scrubbing as the suspension unloads and loads. Im thinking the strut may be bad? No sign of scrub on the tires.

Quick Reply: Cold weather sqeaking is back...