Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Do I need to replace the shocks if I lower the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:17 PM

Do I need to replace the shocks if I lower the car?

If you lower the HHR, do you need to replace the shocks? Are there after market shocks available yet?

NG
Old 02-18-2006, 02:41 PM

There is plenty of travel left after lowering in both the front struts and rear shocks. You would only need to replace them if you want to. I'm not sure what aftermarket struts are available yet for the HHR, but I would look into Monroe Sensatracs as they are really nice riding. A Monroe dealer should be able to cross-reference a set to fit your HHR.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:24 PM

Hey SoCal
whats up with the camber kit you sell? Do some need it and some don't?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM

No, all will need it. If someone tells you they don't - they haven't had their HHR aligned yet! The drop sends the front 1" in from horizontal, and the rear 1/2" in. As a car is dropped negative camber is a given. The rear shim kits need to be installed by an alignment shop, but you can install the camber kit when you do the drop (it just won't be accurate). I recommend driving 100-150 miles beforehand, allowing everything to settle in.

Hope it helps,
Old 02-18-2006, 06:59 PM

Mike are you doing the drops at a shop or are you just selling the gold line springs on your SocalHHR's site?
Lemme know!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:06 PM

Right now we are only selling through the website. We don't have a physical shop yet where we can perform mods. It will come in time - but you have to start somewhere!

I spend a great deal of my time during the week right now on the phone with vendors trying to get new custom parts for HHR's made. It is a very time-consuming process...

I posted this on "the other' site:

Getting new aftermarket parts developed is like watching snails race up Mt. Everest.

Day 1:

Day 7:

Day 21:

Day 42:__ (whoa! did you see that!)
Old 07-07-2006, 07:42 AM

As a rule of thumb, at least for me, I will not lower a vehicle without having replacement struts that can 1. handle the drop without blowing, and 2. Handle the spring rate properly. Until there are aftermarket struts out there that are warrentied for the drop I guess I will stick with my stock springs and struts.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 AM

*NOTE: most OEM shocks/struts are only good (100% effective) to upwards of 15000 miles!!!:eek:
Most people aren't aware of this fact... hence why manufactures 'recommend' their replacement somwheres around that time. As we ALL know, no-one usually get's their shocks/struts changed every 12-20K- so heed this advise with a grain of salt...
Lowering, however, will put the shock/strut 'out of spec', which WILL, in effect, cause premature wear. And although OEM units are good- they're not great... aftermarket suspension dampening far exceeds any OEM product by far!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
As a rule of thumb, at least for me, I will not lower a vehicle without having replacement struts that can 1. handle the drop without blowing, and 2. Handle the spring rate properly. Until there are aftermarket struts out there that are warrentied for the drop I guess I will stick with my stock springs and struts.
There are a LOT of lowered HHRs on this site running stock struts. To my knowledge no one has had any strut problems (speak now if you have). In fact most that have owned other lowered cars comment on how great the HHR rides/handles after lowering it when compared to other cars they have lowered.

Last edited by cjuetten; 07-07-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 AM

I'd be curious to know the difference in how long the stock struts last between the LS and 1LT vs. the 2LT.

Are the only springs available for the HHR progressive rate???

Quick Reply: Do I need to replace the shocks if I lower the car?