Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front rotor issue solved

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Front rotor issue solved

After replacing my rotors two times within the first 80k miles and then reading a lot on this forum about others having rotor problems I think I have solved the problem, at least with my car it is solved. The last set of rotors have lasted longer than any others and what I did different was adjusted the rear brakes. The problem is the rear brakes do not adjust and you have too much breaking stress or pressure on your front brakes, they are doing all the work. I read where the self adjusters did not work properly on the HHR and yes when I adjusted them manually the first time it took several turns to get them where they need to be. Since then adjust them about every 5k miles or so or maybe when you change your oil or rotate your tires and you will not have front break rotor warp issues.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Just like we have been saying all along. The problem is not specific to the HHR. Since American cars started using front disk brakes and never got around to changing the rear drum hardware there has been a problem.

The rear adjusters need to have the rear shoes "lock-up" while the car is traveling in reverse, the problem is that the front brakes stop the car before the rears "lock-up".

Japanese cars, at least the OL's 1999 Mazda, have self adjusters that just stay adjusted with NO "work" (in the engineering sense) needed. I have no clue as to why the American mfg's or European for that matter can't use the same system, it looks like it would be cheaper to implement, but then patents etc. may be the reason.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Can the rears lockup for adjustment by using just the emergency brake?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Someone that's done it should do a how to, yes?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by miles solo
The drum brakes that are on the rear of the LS and LT models will not adjust with the use of the parking brake. They are SUPPOSED to self-adjust when backing up and stopping. This doesn't seem to work on a great deal of these vehicles - hence the advice on this forum to manually adjust them every 5,000 miles/oil change/tire rotation.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM

With my 1LT and my 2LT, slight pressure on the brake pedal while backing up always seemed to have worked for adjusting the rear drum brakes. The warped rotor thing is very common amongst all of us HHR owners, had issues on my 07 and on my 08, but my SS has been a whole different story. Still running with factory rotors on all 4 corners at 47,000 miles on it. I think peoples braking styles have some effect on how long the rotors last also. I know the way I slow down and apply my brakes and the way my wife does it are 2 totally different things(put rotors on her G6 by the time it had 25K on it). Ive seen people who "pump" the brake pedal as they are stopping have had more trouble with warped rotors(not all GM vehicles either) then slowly applying more and more pressure as you gradually slow down to stop. Im sure there is many different opinions on this, just stateing from my experiences.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 AM

I tried the back up method on my LT... It DOES NOT WORK... take a few minutes, jack up the ass end crawl under and give the star a couple clicks... I did when I replaced my fronts and man what a difference... now... stops great...
Just remember if you do your front brakes to bed in the pads good or the "warp" will come back on your first hard stop...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by miles solo
No, the parking brake only engages the trailing shoes.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Someone that's done it should do a how to, yes?
Use the search tool. Threads abound.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by djr1973
With my 1LT and my 2LT, slight pressure on the brake pedal while backing up always seemed to have worked for adjusting the rear drum brakes. The warped rotor thing is very common amongst all of us HHR owners, had issues on my 07 and on my 08, but my SS has been a whole different story. Still running with factory rotors on all 4 corners at 47,000 miles on it. I think peoples braking styles have some effect on how long the rotors last also. I know the way I slow down and apply my brakes and the way my wife does it are 2 totally different things(put rotors on her G6 by the time it had 25K on it). Ive seen people who "pump" the brake pedal as they are stopping have had more trouble with warped rotors(not all GM vehicles either) then slowly applying more and more pressure as you gradually slow down to stop. Im sure there is many different opinions on this, just stateing from my experiences.
Your post about the braking styles is very interesting. I will have to pay more attention to the braking styles between myself and my husband. I am going to try what you have mentioned about applying more and more pressure as I gradually come to a stop because I usually pump the brakes. Thank you for sharing.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Front rotor issue solved