Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

HHR Rotor Problems

Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM

HHR Rotor Problems

HI Guys, First timer.
When I bought my used HHR a 2011 the rotors where warped at 23 k so they were replaced by the dealer along with the pads. So here I am 45k later and the rotors are warped again but, the pads are still good. I am hard on the front brakes, I know this.
MY questions to the group are these: One, is this a common problem and Two, would High Performance rotors solve the problem Thanks Dan
Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

Very common problem, learn how to use the search tool. You will find hundreds of references.

Your problem is more likely to be some combination of hubs and control arm bushings and failure to keep the rear brakes adjusted properly and bad shocks/struts.

Many people think fancy/expensive rotors have helped, that is not MY experience
Old 05-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Common problem. Yes. High performance rotors. That's really a loaded question because it depends on which rotors you go with.

Fwiw. Rotor problems are probably one of the most discussed topics on this forum over the years. If you don't mind doing a little(a lot ) of reading, there are literally thousands of posts and threads regarding this issue. Try our Search function and you''ll find just about every discussion there is.

Another fwiw. Keeping the rear brakes adjusted up seems to keep the "warp" factor down. Seems that GM's idea of self adjusting rear brakes doesn't really work worth a flip.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

x3 - especially the part about keeping the rear brakes adjusted.

Resurfacing the rotors sometimes works, but I have the impression that it is just easier to replace them, as the resurfacing doesn't necessarily last that long before the problem returns.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome, I've tried replacement rotors, but new LCA rear bushings cured my issue with the brake judder!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Technical Moderator

My theory is that jacking the car up realigns the The bushings for a time, it seems like changing rotors did something.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Administrator

My bushings were crumbled rubber chunks.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 PM

Rotor problems

Thanks to all who replied about my rotor problems Dan
Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM

"Warping" rotors is a misconception.

The symptom (brake pulsation) that people commonly attribute to rotor warpage is usually either pad transfer or a rotor thickness issue caused by hubs that do not run true.

While "Pad Transfer" is a normal condition with brakes, in some circumstances, the material will transfer unevenly. This causes the coefficient of friction to be uneven as the brakes are applied to the rotor. It is usually caused by brakes that have been overheated. Unless you have a very poor style of braking, it does not normally reoccur once pad/rotors are replaced.

The most likely culprit, especially if you are having the rotors turned (or replacing them with new ones) and you have a reoccurrence of the problem after 3-5K miles, you most likely have hubs that aren't true.

In that situation, you have 3 choices:

1) Replace the hubs and hope the replacements are better than what you have currently.

2) Measure the run-out and purchase "Rotor shims" to counteract the run-out.

3) Have someone with an "On-Car" brake lathe cut your rotors. This trues them to the hub, regardless of how much run-out it has (with-in reason).

Hope this helps!

Ken

Last edited by Kersh; 06-02-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:21 PM

Thanks Ken, I will take your suggestions to my Les Schwab Dealer where I get all my brake, tires, suspension work done. This is out of my wheelhouse. Thanks again Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR Rotor Problems