Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Issue with steering wheel pulling to the left while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 AM

Issue with steering wheel pulling to the left while braking

So I've noticed over the past month or so that every once in a while my steering wheel will turn 25% to the left while braking. Now I already know I need an alignment anyway because it pulls left while driving as well, but I've never heard of the wheel literally turning itself while braking. It's very noticeable and quite aggravating. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before and if so what was causing it and how do I get it fixed. A few friends mentioned one of the calipers might not be squeezing enough... but I want a more definite answer before I throw money at it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Listen to your friends. Sounds like maybe the right caliper is not working, causing the left one to pull it to that side.

I Reread your post. "Steering wheel turns 25% to left" would mean it's actually pulling to the right and your steering against the pull. Soooo that would mean it's the LEFT one maybe not working.

Oh heck. Take it to a large empty parking lot. Do some braking tests and see exactly which way it pulls. Usually means the problem will be on the opposite side of the pull.

And Fwiw. Needing an alignment, can sometimes magnify the problem.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

When you carefully drive it next, (with 2 hands on the wheel). Make a couple good stops & get out & feel the heat from both L & R rotors edges.

Should be both about the same heat, if one is colder, or one is extremely hot.

Then you need to do an inspection. & be careful, you can burn your fingers.. (Don't touch the rotor face tho)......
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Purchased a 2011 HHR LT1 with 26k on it. Had 2 new tires installed, the car started pulling hard to the left. Crossed the front original tires, still pulls left. Put rear tires(new ones) on front, still pulls. An alignment was ruled out, it is aligned. It pulls hard at speeds above 60, and on certain roads. I had it on a hoist and see that it was in an accident. If its a unibody issue, how is it that if drove so well before the tire change? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

"If its a unibody issue, how is it that if drove so well before the tire change?"

I would think the old tires just wore to the conditions they were subjected to.. How did the old tire treads look when removed ?

I don't see how it could be 'properly aligned' & have unibody damage ?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
When you carefully drive it next, (with 2 hands on the wheel). Make a couple good stops & get out & feel the heat from both L & R rotors edges.

Should be both about the same heat, if one is colder, or one is extremely hot.

Then you need to do an inspection. & be careful, you can burn your fingers.. (Don't touch the rotor face tho)......
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I just have a bad feeling I'm about to dump a load of cash in my new vehicle. Which the whole reason I got a car this new is so I wouldn't have to do this.... -_-
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

TEKNOnaut-

That's what the 3 yr / 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty is for. Then you also still have the 5 yr /100K Powertrain warranty...
Old 10-12-2012, 02:08 PM

The tires were all good,tread was deep. Sleeper, thanks for answering so quickly. It's a mystery to me. I drove it last night and felt the pads to see if one may have been cooler, they both seemed hot. Today I will check the rear brakes.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Lindajoy.......

A couple of questions for you..........

What is the name brand and "model" of tire you put on the car?

Is the tire installer doing the wheel alignment check?

Did you buy it from a GM dealer?

How long have you had it?

Did the selling party install the tires or have you done this on your own?

Quick Reply: Issue with steering wheel pulling to the left while braking