Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
It may be possible springs are on wrong side. I think they are wound in opposite directions, not positive. Mostly the shock is either side.
Don. The strut springs are the same left or right. Wound in the same direction so you can install them on either side.
Now. There is a top and bottom regarding the strut springs. The last coil tapers a little flatter on one end. At least on my SS FE5 stock springs they do.
Can't recall which end goes which way.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the input guys! I'm going to take a closer look at things this weekend.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Technical Moderator

Actually, here are the torque specs.
Attached Thumbnails KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft-struttorque.png  
Old 10-24-2016, 05:48 PM

I had a problem like this with KYBs on my Saabaru. It's difficult to explain, but you need "deep nuts" to solve the problem. The shoulder of the strut is smaller than OEM, so you need to compensate. (G-rated all the way).

turninconcepts.com out of Cincinnati had them. I don't see them on their current site, but they are a sleeved nut that makes up for the smaller shoulder of the KYB strut. Almost look like an impact socket.

I competed with them. They are good stuff. And, TIC, while they are big on Subarus, those guys are great to talk with. CALL if you can't find them online. They are good people. Helped my noob heinie 1-2x!
Old 10-31-2016, 12:23 PM

Blue SS, I've never heard of that before. Did a lot of reading up before the installation, first time I've ever heard of the issue. I think I understand what you are describing, but it seems very odd that the nut that came with the new strut won't work with provided spacer. It would be nice to hear from others with KYB's on their HHR to see if they've had this issue as well.

I bought a strut nut socket and tried it out on the passenger side today with the hex wrench, but the hex wrench stripped its hole before I could apply enough torque to the nut. Not good. I've tried the "vice grip on the shaft" method, but all it does is slide on the shaft no matter how tight I get it. Now I don't know what to do. I'm getting very frustrated. Been to two shops, all they did was hit the nuts quick with an impact and said "they're tight" which is BS, the strut shafts rotate freely without being held with the appropriate hex wrench or vise grip on the shaft.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:31 AM

I made the decision that I'm not messing around with the KYB mounts anymore. New Moog Problem Solver strut mounts are on their way. I should have bought and installed them to begin with. I will report back with the results within the next couple weeks once they get installed.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Administrator

KYB mounts? Mine did not come with mounts just the nut for the top of the strut.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 AM

You are correct, the mounts do not come with the bare struts, they have to be bought separately. I've already replaced the lower control arms, sway bar links, and the inner and outer tie rod ends with upgraded Moog Problem Solver parts (highly recommended). Sway bar bushings are now Prothane polyurethane (#19-1141). If I had known at the time that Moog made improved Problem Solver strut mounts (#K160052), I would have bought them instead of the KYBs. I am confident the clunking/banging noise will disappear after the Moog mounts are installed.

Last edited by ITALGT; 11-04-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Administrator

So you have now ordered these

Moog-K160052 - Strut Mount made by MOOG

To replace the KYB plates?

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/kyb...obileSwitchYes

I'd like to verify for reference to future purchases, thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 12:52 PM

You are probably correct, but for some reason the links aren't working for me. For clarity, here are those numbers:

KYB: SM5513
MOOG: K160052

Quick Reply: KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft