Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 AM

KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft

Hello all, first post to the forum here… I just bought a 2007 2LT Premier Edition with 83K, installed new KYB struts/shocks with Eibach springs.

The problem I have is the passenger side strut. Where the top strut nut fastens to the shaft, there is about an 1/8th inch of play up and down while the front suspension is compressed/depressed.

Driving over the smallest of bumps results in lots of clunking from the upper strut because of the excessive play.

The struts were both assembled with new boots, hats and crush bearings. The upper strut shaft nuts were also double checked for tightness by an alignment shop. Driver side strut has no issues, just the passenger side.

I’m puzzled where this play could be coming from. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions before I tear things apart again?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ITALGT; 10-19-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Technical Moderator

If you are talking about the large nut inside the engine compartment, the installer did something wrong.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Yes, that is the nut. I installed them without using the special tool, just the hex wrench and a socket/vise grip combo on the work bench. I was hoping the problem was that I just didn't apply enough torque to fully seat the nuts, so I had the alignment shop check them. They said they did... but now I am wondering if they actually checked them at all, because for the life of me I can't figure out what else the problem could possibly be.

If I can rent or buy the proper tool, I will recheck them myself. Any suggestions? I am having a hard time locating one.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Technical Moderator

You don't really need the tool. I have used an impact gun, like most shop techs do.

I think that socket is the same as an O2 sensor socket.

1/8 inch should be noticeable thread exposure.

Did yo replace the strut mount/bearing, if not did the old one fall apart and a part forgotten?

The next question is not meant to be a slight. Did you remember to take the spring compressor off?

Did you compare the spring side to side; new to old?

Broken spring/wrong spring.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

I'm wondering if you installed the struts on the wrong sides.....they are side dependent.........right to right and left to left.

Don't know if that would cause the "torque" problem but I guess it could. Is this correct Donbrew?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Technical Moderator

It may be possible springs are on wrong side. I think they are wound in opposite directions, not positive. Mostly the shock is either side.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You don't really need the tool. I have used an impact gun, like most shop techs do.

I think that socket is the same as an O2 sensor socket.

1/8 inch should be noticeable thread exposure.

Did yo replace the strut mount/bearing, if not did the old one fall apart and a part forgotten?

The next question is not meant to be a slight. Did you remember to take the spring compressor off?

Did you compare the spring side to side; new to old?

Broken spring/wrong spring.

Thanks for the info. Interesting note about the thread exposure... there is barely a thread showing on each shaft after the nut. The OEM struts I took off have about an 1/8th inch as you mentioned. I noticed this difference when I assembled them, didn't think much of it because the nuts were both as tight as I could get them. The thing is that the passenger side is the only one that has the vertical play, the driver side is fine. Hmmmm....

A missing crush bearing would also make sense, however I know for sure it was installed the same as the driver side was. I'm sure I would have noticed if it wasn't installed after it was assembled.

As far as left and right, KYB's are side-specific and can only be installed one way (they are stamped L and R as well). Springs are brand new Eibachs and are properly seated in their perches.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Any suggestions on how to properly tighten the nuts without the specialized tool? I've heard some people use a vise grip on the strut shaft while tightening the nut with an impact. I'm not too excited about risking damage to the shaft though. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Technical Moderator

If it is the right size O2 sensor tools can be "borrowed' from Advance/Zone/O'reilly. 7/8 rings a bell.

Use the vice grip on the end of the threaded shaft.

Use the vice grip with lots of padding on the shaft.

Use an impact gun.

I have used the last 3.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM

X2 on everything DonBrew said above. A trick that has worked for me before is to install strut on car, lower car and then tighten the top center nut. Obviously get the nut tight enough to remove spring compressor before attempting. Sometimes the weight of the car will keep it from turning. 89 ft. Lbs I believe is the torque on that bolt.

Quick Reply: KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft